anyone know the ultramax uxds-3 system? and advice for a first time strobe buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am about to jump full on into the photo hobby. the question is do i jump head first or feet first?

it was about 200 dives in before i felt all the weight i'm going to shed is shed, my equipment is perfectly suited (and fitted) for me, my buoyancy is bomb proof, and my skills were developed enough to put a camera in my hands - saw too many early adapters with rudimentary scuba skills and no business diving with a gopro, let alone a decent camera endangering themselves and others, not to mention the reef system. the last 100 or so dives i've been part time futzing around taking macro with a g-12 in a canon case, relying on the diffused internal flash. my skills with the g12 are basic at best, but i'm very well aware of the need for outboard light. it is my intention to get a dual strobe system as the first order of business, and will retire the g12 shortly thereafter.

i can put together a dual ultramax uxds-3 system for about half the cost of a sea and sea or other comparable. but search as i might, i can't find any user reviews. does anyone have any experience with them? are they reliable? or if you are familiar with the specifications, am i likely to grow out of them in short order and wish i had just gone large(r) to start? i've seen no less than 3 ys-01 floods, all the same way (through the battery compartment), and hear of many other similar incidents. the uxds-3 isolates the electronics from the battery compartment, and therefore reasonably blocks that path to human error (seems like a reasonable idea), and that is what got me to look at these units more seriously. they do seem specification-wise to at least be designed to function on a level a bit less but similar to the ys-01, but without allowing for the same degree of user adjustment.

i am hoping to get 2 or 3 years out of them, and during that time anywhere from 200 - 400 warm water, tropical dives (best guess). at the same time i will be developing an understanding of the full range and functions of the camera i'll be using (holding out for the soon to be released g17) and experiment with some wide-angle and video along the way. i can increase the budget if there is reason to do so. but my thought is, like any gear, i am unlikely to get it right the first time and practice, familiarity, experience and experiment will eventually dictate which is the right way to go for me, no matter what i chose. then again, i could be wrong.... and maybe now is the time to jump up on a giant learning curve.

any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

r

My advice is to get the camera/strobes that you think you will eventually wind up with (if you can swing it financially). Many of us here went down the rabbit hole of buying a "starter" system when we really did know what we wanted. I would say go for "better" strobes since strobes/ports/lenses last for many generations. I would vote for something like Inon S2000 ($339 from Divervision), YS03 (if you can do TTL) or something even bigger (Z240, YSD1). If you think about 2 x $350 strobes as an investment and you do 400 dives with them (many of my strobes have more than 1K dives on them) and you take 60 pictures per dive then you are about $0.03 per picture for the strobe bit. Cheap enough that saving $200 isn't going to make the difference in any case.
In general my impression of the Intova/Ultramax strobes are that they are OK but the beam angle is quite low (only 90 degrees) and the recycle time is 3 seconds which is quite slow. That being said, if you are budget challenged (and aren't we all) then they will work perfectly fine.

Bill

I agree with Bill on this.
I have used the Ultramax and they're not bad. They are consistent, rugged, and an excellent solution for an affordable strobe. However, they are quite large and bulky with very slow recycle time and only 5 power modes. No TTL.
If you can stretch your budget, I recommend getting at least a pair of YS-01's, or Inon S2000, which are a huge improvement and will last for a long time as long as they are properly maintained. They would work with almost any system you will upgrade to in the future.
I must say that for me, recycle rate is perhaps the most important thing in a strobe. Many shots are missed while the strobe reloads and that's quite annoying. Sometimes you only get one chance and you don't want to blow it.

Last edited:
thank you bill and ran - your advice is good enough for me, and i'm grateful for it.

bill i got to check out some of your photos on blueviews.net - awesome!

Back
Top Bottom