Closed Anyone looking for parts? AKA ramblings

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By all means, proceed if you like ... as Lex noted, the quiet has been thick. Place could use some livenin-up.:popcorn:

On a more topical note, if you turned up a few SP MK17Ts, I'd be interested. I mean they've got to exist, right? That should fill your free hours. :wink::rofl3:
I'll start looking, might take a while🫠

I have pretty definitive knowledge of the whereabouts of 3 MK11Ts and I'm sure there are others,, but I didn't know that there were some mythical virgins or something out there ...

I have considered seeing if swapping the diaphragm cap and adding the environmental seal parts would do the trick, but it seems it would be somewhat redneck and I haven't explored the possibility of galvanic and expansion issues.
I considered this (?) and did a post on it a few years back. I'll see if I can find it.

Good to have you back, brother.

There's still the three MK11Ts widely rumored to be rat-holed. I'm waiting on one of them to drop.

Wasn't there a way to convert MK11s to MK17s?

OMMOHY
Who's got MK11T's? I'm addicted to those. I have two. I need more, more, more...

They are my new cocaine.

I have pretty definitive knowledge of the whereabouts of 34 MK11Ts and I'm sure there are others,, but I didn't know that there were some mythical virgins or something out there ...

I have considered seeing if swapping the diaphragm cap and adding the environmental seal parts would do the trick, but it seems it would be somewhat redneck and I haven't explored the possibility of galvanic and expansion issues.
I'll admit that diving in 32° F (0°C) water I'd feel an extra peace of mind with a Mk17. But in my experience growing up diving in cold freshwater lakes, I don't remember any freeze up of an unsealed diaphragm 1st stage in my circle of friends and aquaintances. This was before Apeks' breakthrough, so divers commited to winter diving had Poseidons and Mares, which can be sealed, but no one bothered. The water was mostly 39-46° F (4-8°C).

So I'd feel quite comfortable with the Mk11T as it is in any conditions. It is small and light and won't corrode. Sealing keeps salt out, but the salt won't harm the titanium. Unless you use a Jetstream or Mares Abyss 2nd stage, any other second stage may develop freezing problems well before the 1st stage does. There was the Oceanic TDX5: titanium, diaphragm and sealed, but it is bigger and heavier.

The only issue with titanium is it's own stickiness (galling), but I lube my T1 threads and even the second hand ones came undone with some force with the threads looking like new.

I'll admit that diving in 32° F (0°C) water I'd feel an extra peace of mind with a Mk17. But in my experience growing up diving in cold freshwater lakes, I don't remember any freeze up of an unsealed diaphragm 1st stage in my circle of friends and aquaintances. This was before Apeks' breakthrough, so divers commited to winter diving had Poseidons and Mares, which can be sealed, but no one bothered. The water was mostly 39-46° F (4-8°C).

So I'd feel quite comfortable with the Mk11T as it is in any conditions. It is small and light and won't corrode. Sealing keeps salt out, but the salt won't harm the titanium. Unless you use a Jetstream or Mares Abyss 2nd stage, any other second stage may develop freezing problems well before the 1st stage does. There was the Oceanic TDX5: titanium, diaphragm and sealed, but it is bigger and heavier.

The only issue with titanium is it's own stickiness (galling), but I lube my T1 threads and even the second hand ones came undone with some force with the threads looking like new.
My concern is not with freezing in this application, it is more "Blackbeard's" type LOB use where it is salt-dipped 3-5 times a day for a week without rinsing.

Thanks for the clarification. I use Atomic T1s now, which are tribolube-sealed titanium piston regs, and during a busy week of diving I also hardly rinse them (but also don't let them dry). The titanium has always been fine. The Monel in the T2X and T3 may need some polishing, but can also take the abuse. Perhaps you guys have seen effects in the Mk11T and can let me know, otherwise I'd still say it is immune the way it is.

Adding brass parts from the Mk17 would certainly make corrosion worse. You could have the top part milled out of titanium, but I doubt the Mk11T cares for salt in the original, unsealed state.

My only concern is unscrewing a DIN stem or yoke retaining nut on a second hand bought reg that has been overtorqued and not lubed. Galling can connect the threads very firmly, and this is not corrosion related. But my worst one came apart with some force and the threads showed no sign of use (brass would have probably had damaged threads). Awesome material, I love titanium.

Back
Top Bottom