Anyone making their own weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With lead as expensive as it is, has anyone use any clever ideas to make their own weights? I looked into buying lead shot from a steel supplier, and they werent any cheaper then buying retail weights.

I thought about it, found the lead shot cheap enough but it was an hour drive away and then looked for the cloth and had trouble finding the right stuff and finally thinking about trying to sew bags closed with little round balls rolling all over. I got past my cheap nature pulled out my wallet blew the dust out of the way and let the greenbacks fly!

I was a parachute rigger and a sailmaker in my earlier life so I knew I could do it but finally came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the trouble

I pick up fishing sinkers as I find them while diving. I recast those into ½ lb eggs (all are within 1/10 of an oz. I toss them into a pocket weight welt to get the exact weight I need. I find them comfortable in that configuration and extremely easy with which to work. There's no guess work (is that a 3 or a 4 lb weight) and it's fairly precise (ever actually put your weights on a scale - they aren't usually all that close).

Use precautions when casting lead, there are lots of dangers involved in the process. There are hazardous fumes and lots of opportunities to get badly burned (moisture is not your friend).

yes, I make my own weights for belts and v-weights for doubles, I get 2 lbs.fishing sinkers and melt them down. I have about 400 lbs of lead in my garage now. Go to the tire stores they remove the tire weights and do reuse them.
Ed

Just to add to what the others wrote; some cheap sources of lead are:

1) Refill pellets for shotguns (buckshot/birdshot)
2) Fishing weights
3) Weights used to ballance tires can oft get used ones free from mechanics)
4) Used bullets (free from most ranges)

Bryan

Or, go to popular diver training sites on Mondays and find pre-cast weight on weight belts just laying around for some reason.

I also pick up a weight belt every now and then on the popular wreck sites, but only when I, or someone I know, needs some.

Walter:
Tire leads are free, but not high quality. I don't bother with them at all.

Can you elaborate on this please?
Ber :lilbunny:

There are lots of impurities in tire leads. I'll dig out some more specifics when I get home if you'd like, Darlin'.

Walter:
There are lots of impurities in tire leads. I'll dig out some more specifics when I get home if you'd like, Darlin'.

Of course I like :10: I've had that question from students and am interested in the information you can provide. Thank you!
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom