Anyone notice the excitement at the Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That article is only the SECOND part of the story......the FIRST part was a few days before.....it did kind of explain the first part too though.....
Google Translate

Basically they found the truck at Blue Angel whose owner allegedly was involved in an execution. Now we find out a few days later that when the Police/Feds went through the rooms they stole stuff from tourists supposedly, who knows.

I went by the incident on my way to the airport Saturday about 1PM. Saw several masked men in fatigues with what looked to my untrained eye like machine guns. They had southbound traffic stopped. I ran into some guests from BA at the airport (board members) and they told a story of the police looking for 5 people that checked in the night before with backpacks.

If that police officer has his face covered, that is not a good sign. That's drug war stuff.

Geeze, and we were just going on about how safe it is there and hope it stays that way, no need to get nervous about it as long as the drug cartels wars stay away from it. I really hope this all ends up being less serious then it's looking right now. Damn, I'd love some info!

Hey, Fin, some days are a little chilly with the winds. And the Mexican seem to love the balaclava look... We went over to Xplor on day and one of the park's girls on the ATV course was wearing a face warmer. We were in shorts, but it was a norte day.

Those Mexicans do get cold easy. I've noticed a lot of the dive masters in Cozumel always wear hoods, so I'm hoping you're probably right on this one.

The last translation refers to the 5 as suspects in an actual execution that occurred earlier. This sounds like a hit not a random act of violence against a tourist. The tourists who had their room searched and their luggage checked were innocent bystanders who were rightfully pissed off, as to weather or not they had money taken we will never know. How many travelers leave their money in their luggage when they go out? I usually put it in my pocket or the hotel safe. The police were on a serious mission, not a roadside fund raiser. I would give them the "benefit of the doubt" over some pissed off tourists. Anyway, if it was all drug related:

a) Doesn't involve me
b) One less gangbanger on the streets
c) Positive sign that police are actively trying to find the perps
d) Still at a significantly lower rate of occurance than most large US cities
e) Add your own comments to the list

WOW. I know I'm not going back to Mexico, but I had hoped that the island of Coz would still be somewhere I would want to re-visit. Maybe there is not a lot of drug violence there, but when it is common place to be robbed by the police in the course of their work... well I guess I need to scratch Coz. off the list too.

How many travelers leave their money in their luggage when they go out?
Me, me, me - except BA has room safes.
WOW. I know I'm not going back to Mexico, but I had hoped that the island of Coz would still be somewhere I would want to re-visit. Maybe there is not a lot of drug violence there, but when it is common place to be robbed by the police in the course of their work... well I guess I need to scratch Coz. off the list too.
Bullcaca

I would put the violent crime stats of COZ up against any major city in the good-ol' US of A!

I don't give much credibility to the rumored police theft of tourist money.

Back
Top Bottom