Anyone seen good vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, is anyone seeing any place that is not suffering from a bad red tide?

I hear that there is vis below the nasty layer, but was hoping that someone might have seen nicer water while driving down the coast somewhere.

Christian

MaxBottomtime:
Marineland has been OK the past couple weekends. No red tide, with 15-20 feet vis at Headhunter Reef.
Never mind. I just got a report of gnarly red tide near shore at Marineland this morning.

The 5pm LSS report today shows Shaws at 12-15 ft. with 1-2 ft. waves. Not bad, if you can believe the numbers :D

MaxBottomtime:
Never mind. I just got a report of gnarly red tide near shore at Marineland this morning.
I probably read that same report from Jonathan Davies. It's what prompted me to start the thread. I'm hoping to find good vis somewhere on Sunday.

Christian

Dove MArineland this morning. Murky at the surface where I could not see my own gloves.

At 40 feet depth, it opened up to maybe 20 feet vis. Not too bad, and the red tide overhead made it dark enough that ol' HID-less me could use my backup light for passive communication. :D

Avalon this AM was pretty yukky. Went over with Jaye to give her a tune-up dive and a chance to use her little P&S under water before we head to Belize this Friday.

We did one dive (62 minutes - max depth 70) and she did great. Thermocline at about 48 feet - went from the low 60's (like 63 - 62-ish) to 56!!!

She reported a little dampness in her drysuit, so we called the dive early...

Got back to shore - and she was soaked. Poor girl - so we went and had lunch and bailed after only the one dive. I was planning on sending the suits to Faith at DUI while we're gone anyway - pockets and Pee Valve for mine, real knee pads for her (and now a leak check for her's too...)

The viz on top (< 25) was much better than below. Then the roto tillers came and it was bad and bad all over...

Fun half-day - but even the viz in the park wasn't up to par.

No GSB, but we saw two huge (and I do mean HUGE) bat rays at the Sue Jac, and the silver rivers from last summer (schools of macerel) are back... so beautiful - huge schools shimmering in formation through the muck.

So now its aged Brie and a fine Chardonnay with my lover instead of a 4th cloudy dive in Avalon... a fine trade off.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom