Anyone taking bouyancy 1 at ScubaShack, CT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This isn't a buoyancy class for 'credit' so to speak, it's a class to truly learn to be the master of your gear including your own body in the water. It's 6 sessions long including work in the class and the pool, and Ed himself will tell you the first day that if you don't think it's worth the money you can tell him any time during the class and he'll give you back your money and you can go about your business, nothing lost.

I guess my question would be, why does it matter which agency? Does a PPB card buy you any access you didn't have before? A buoyancy class, no matter from whom you take it, or under the aegis of which agency, is quite simply a class to improve your diving skills.

As Andrew Georgitsis said to me a number of months ago, it's not the card, it's the skills. If you have the skills, the card falls in your lap. And if the card doesn't change anything you can do in terms of sites, gases, charters, or anything else, what does it matter who issues is, or whether you get it? You took the class for the learning.

i have grown beyond taking classes to "get another card". I think there is no certifying agency(other then Ed himself, and he doesn't mint C-cards).

Scuba Shack is a PADI shop, but as said I don't think Ed's buoyancy class is for a card. I haven't personally taken this class, but if Ed (Hayes) is teaching it then I would bet you'll get at least something beneficial from it. He's tough, but a great teacher that works with each individual to be their best under water.

Ok....I give up...what is the cert agency? GUE? on my defense..I was always thinking on the PADI Bouyancy class....

Really, the agency just doesn't matter. Is this a "typical" PADI buoyancy class? No. It's a class conducted over six weeks, with all in water portions video taped in HD, with video debriefs to help fine-tune skills between classes. This is taught by a very experienced diver, who happens to be a GUE instructor. You want to talk about seeking advice from a "veteran"? Ed's your guy. He's magic in the water and an incredible educator. The class also usually has a ton of assistants helping out as well, and keeps class sizes very small. All of this for an extremely low cost. While I haven't taken the class myself, two of my GUE buddies did prior to Fundamentals, and both found in extremely rewarding. In fact, I've yet to meet someone who took the class and didn't get a lot out of it. Ed isn't kidding when he offers you your money back if you don't find the training worthwhile. I doubt, though, that he's handing any money back. Here's a recent write up of the class from a different site: Buoyancy Class from GUE Instructor - The Dive Matrix Forums

I am just curious - is this a class that people take AFTER taking DIR-F (from Ed or someone else)? Naturally if you had problems passing it's not so interesting but do people actually turn to this course even after passing Fundies and/or between Rec & Tech???

I am just curious - is this a class that people take AFTER taking DIR-F (from Ed or someone else)? Naturally if you had problems passing it's not so interesting but do people actually turn to this course even after passing Fundies and/or between Rec & Tech???

This is a class that makes sense (for some) to take BEFORE Fundamentals. Ed does have some "seminar" courses (e.g. on diving doubles) that might make sense to take if seeking a tech upgrade.

This is a class that makes sense (for some) to take BEFORE Fundamentals. Ed does have some "seminar" courses (e.g. on diving doubles) that might make sense to take if seeking a tech upgrade.

Yes that's how I would see it - great for new divers and improving basic skills. Maybe I am mixing people up but it just seemed like more than one person already Fundified were contemplating it :)

Yes that's how I would see it - great for new divers and improving basic skills. Maybe I am mixing people up but it just seemed like more than one person already Fundified were contemplating it :)

Some people that take fundies and find they need to improve before getting a "pass" do take the class. While the class is a great prep to take GUE Fundamentals, it was not created for that specific purpose. The main purpose of the class is to help divers improve their diving. (In Ed's special way. ) :) A lot of what is covered in the class makes the concepts taught in the Fundamentals class easier, but the class is not by any means a pre-requisite.

It doesn't matter if someone has been certified 2 weeks or 20 years. Students from both sides of the spectrum typically gain from the class. The class doesn't have anything to do with past "experience". It does help when the student want's to learn. As other posters have stated, Ed cover's much more than "just buoyancy" in this class. Maybe someday someone will suggest a better name for the class so it does not get confused with Agency classes of similar names.

I think it is very understandable for Tampico_Ed to ask the question. Those of us that have worked with Ed or taken the class, casually refer to it as the bouyancy class, and sometimes forget that not everyone knows what we are referring to.

Mike

My wife and I have taken this class with Ed. He does offer you the chance to obtain a PADI card out of the deal, however you have to pay for the required open water dives. Since the card doesn't do anything really other than to give you a card, most people don't choose to get the card. So technically, it's a PADI course...but in much more detail.

The class does require you to be in a BP/W and a wetsuit. And whoever mentioned the lack of ankle weights in a drysuit with Ed is right on. They're a crutch, not a solution. The course will force you to master your gear, and you'll probably learn a few things about adjusting your backplate and how to manipulate it. I thought my wing was adjusted well, and during the class learned that it wasn't anywhere near tight enough. You'll spend most of the class in the shallow end of the pool. If you can control your buoyancy there, you can control it anywhere. This includes controlling depth, propulsion and turns without moving up or down in the water column.

I know people who have been diving for years and finally took the class, as well as new divers. I'm yet to talk to a diver who felt that the class was a waste of time or money. My wife and I feel it was some of the best money we've spent on our diving.

Scuba Shack requires this course as a prerequisite to anything other than the regular OW class. After taking the course, I can see why. I believe Ed was working on trying to develop something with GUE as a precursor to Fundies for people. It's probably not a bad idea. If you can master buoyancy and control yourself in the water, fundies will be that much easier. Not to mention that having that control will allow you to enjoy your diving that much more.

Ed really does offer some of the best training around. He's a high energy guy who doesn't pull any punches with his critiques and his class. If you listen to him though, you stand to learn a lot. He truly is one of the best.

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom