Anyone use a bike trainer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know there are a few cyclist on the board and was wondering if any of you could chime in.

In order to save money, I've canceled my gym membership. So instead of organized classes and time on the elliptical trainer, I've ordered a bike trainer to use with the bike I already have.

Plan on setting it up in front of the telly. Anyone use a bike trainer on a regular basis? Any ideas on how to mix up the work out to keep it challenging and not too repetitive?

I am just thinking about getting one! What? they are like 200 dollars?

I want to be able to do cycling exercises like one leg pedals, etc to better my techniques.

You might get some good responses here. If you don't..go to the www.bikeforums.com
they have really helped me a lot.

I used to post on SB from the treadmill, but it got pretty sloppy. I am likeing the i-pod more and more to put me in sort of a trance on workouts.

I highly recomend you getting a HR monitor..boy that will keep your mind focused. Polar and they have a great free "training program" website.

Also, we just bought garmin 305's which has some great programs to put you on an agenda. (You will have a recipe for "70% of your MHR x 20 min...2x wk, etc)

The one I ended up getting was the minoura rda 850r 'cause I didn't want to have to mess with changing my knobby rear tire to a slick one to reduce on noise. Came to about 160 with shipping off of ebay. Didn't get a riser block for the front wheel yet, but I've got plenty of old phone books around.

The hr monitor maybe a good addition - I was always fascinated by the built in ones on the equipment at the gym.

The iPod is ready to go, and I have a nice padded mat for in front of the tv so the wood floors don't get messed up, but I don't want to space out to the tv too much and end up just getting in a mediocre workout. Loved the spinning classes at the gym, so I'll probably try to mix it up with routines similar to those.

oh--thanks neil for posting those sites. those will keep me busy for awhile!

hey, what are rollers?

I am afraid to ask the bike people.

Know any good bike sites for buying a Merlin?

Ditto on the thanks Neil - those work out ideas were just what I was looking for. I was already eying up some of the spinerval dvds but don't know when/if I'll get any.

Rollers are pretty much that - three rotating drums on a metal frame. Both wheels rotate and are free to move, so it's more like being on the road. They're suppose to be great for being able to work on balance and bike handling. But it sounds like they have a steep learning curve and are not for klutzes, which I definitely am.

I spin on a Kinetics trainer with a Cyclops front wheel stand. The Stand has 3 positions to adjust the bike attitude from uphill to level to slighly down hill. Changes up the workout. Also Spinervals make some decent DVDs to train to.

So, rollers are for advanced riders?

I think I want a trainer for windy days. I just found a great neighborhood with new asphalt though.

catherine96821:
So, rollers are for advanced riders?

Not necessarily. They will teach you to pedal in circles or else you risk falling off (don't ride near the coffee table). You'll know you're smooth when you can ride no hands on a set of rollers. If you really want to test yourself, see if you can find a set of the old skinny Kreitlers. I think the drums were about 6" wide.

pedal in circles?

you mean the cadence fast...or literally in circles, unicycle style?

So..how much is a decent trainer?

(a viscious poodle on a retractable leash just about did me in, btw.)

almost clotheslined me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom