Anyone use a SIM card in their phone in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I did this in other countries and it has worked but does anyone offer this in Bonaire? I did some searching and it seems you can buy a prepaid phone but I want to use data, etc. on my phone if possible.

Dave

I was on Bonaire last week, and used my own phone with its US based SIM card in it (I have unlimited international roaming plan). However, it is good to keep on mind that data roaming can be rather expensive.

Basically, depending on your operator, your options are to get a data roaming package from the US operator; for example AT&T options are here. If your phone is not under the contract with a US operator or your operator is willing to unlock the phone, you can go and get the prepaid SIM with a data plan from the local operator, Digicel, on Bonaire that you just use while on the island.

I do not have unlimited roaming and don't want to go broke using my Sprint international. My phone is unlocked which is why I'm asking about picking up a SIM card there. So their local carrier is digicel? I'll just need to get a sim for digicel then. Anyone else do this?

Dave

I do not have unlimited roaming and don't want to go broke using my Sprint international. My phone is unlocked which is why I'm asking about picking up a SIM card there. So their local carrier is digicel? I'll just need to get a sim for digicel then. Anyone else do this?

Yes, go to Digicel and get the SIM card there.

30 minute wait.
Island time.....

I'm planning to buy a SIM from mrsimcard.com - Chippie Wireless Bonaire Sim Card- @mrsimcard, mostly if not exclusively for data, shipped to me before I leave.

I'm sure it could be more economical dollar-wise to buy it on the island, but I like to hit the ground running. I chatted with them and they said the 7 day plans stay activated a few days longer, so that it should work for a Saturday-to-Saturday stay.

I'm planning to buy a SIM from mrsimcard.com - Chippie Wireless Bonaire Sim Card- @mrsimcard, mostly if not exclusively for data, shipped to me before I leave.

I'm sure it could be more economical dollar-wise to buy it on the island, but I like to hit the ground running. I chatted with them and they said the 7 day plans stay activated a few days longer, so that it should work for a Saturday-to-Saturday stay.
Let us know how it works for you, especially coverage.

Back
Top Bottom