Anyone using SP-560 UZ and PT-037

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at buying an Olympus SP-560 UZ with a PT-037 housing. I wanted an E-520 but I can't justify the cost of the housing as a U/W photo novice. I'll probably buy the 520 for a land camera and the 560 for U/W. If you have shot with one, what is your opinion?

Which flash do you recommend? Is the UFL-2 worth the money for a novice U/W shooter?

I was planning on using the 560 for a couple of years and then upgrading to an SLR. How long do people keep strobes? Would a 2 - 3 year old strobe typically be used on a new camera?

Thanks,
Jeff

I use the 560 on land and uw and I love it. Here's a link to some photos taken in Indonesia recently. The macros were shot with the internal flash (I can't aim my strobe LOL) and the wide angles were taken with a Sea & Sea YS (some number I forget). I bought a second camera to bring with me on trips in case I flooded the first one. I know what its like to be without a camera for an entire trip to Australia
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Nice shots! I really loved that sunset and the perspective on the Diver and Crinoid. Are you shooting with any kind of add on lenses?
Most of my diving is in the northeast lakes and rivers where everything is green or brown and the vis sucks so i'm expecting a lot of backscatter with the internal flash.
I see you're from NJ. Ever get to the St. Lawrence river? I'm looking forward to shooting some of the wrecks there.
Jeff

The only external lens I tried was a macro. I should have practiced on land before trying to take photos of pygmy seahorses in Lembeh. Needless to say, I missed the shots. I looked at them last night and I did better with the internal macro setting.
I never dived the St. Lawrence. I think I would need a dry suit. I got cold in Wakatobi in 82 degree water with a 5 mm. LOL. Lembeh had the same water temps but I guess because it's a strait the water seem much warmer.

Just my two cents: you'll be happier spending the extra cash and going for the E520 now, especially if you plan to do that in a few years anyway. Begin building your setup now with just the housing and camera, kit lens etc. The 14-42mm is a very versatile lens. The housing with port is around $1200 bucks at reef photo and video.

I'am thinking of buying the SP560/565 as uw+on land camera, just have one problem:
it's a superzoom camera, and the housing is long, and with wideangle, doesn't the housing mask out the margin of the picture?

I'am thinking of buying the SP560 as uw+on land camera, just have one problem:
it's a superzoom camera, and the housing is long, and with wideangle, doesn't the housing mask out the margin of the picture?

I just had a quick hands-on the SP-565 at a mobile Oly exhibit in the middle of Times Square... what a nice camera! Reminded me of a C-5050.

I was wondering if anyone had heard if the SP-037 would unofficially also house that.

Bob

Just my two cents: you'll be happier spending the extra cash and going for the E520 now, especially if you plan to do that in a few years anyway. Begin building your setup now with just the housing and camera, kit lens etc. The 14-42mm is a very versatile lens. The housing with port is around $1200 bucks at reef photo and video.

I just ordered an E-520 to use as a land camera. I'm going to take a little time to decide on the E-520 housing ($1200) vs SP-560 w/housing ($600 - $700) although I'm leaning for the 560 right now. Aside from our February Ice dive, I've got a few months to decide. (and convince my wife I have to spend more money on equipment!)
Anybody make a camera that will turn the green and brown of the St. Lawrence river into blue, yellow and red of the carribean (and add 30 degrees water temp)? :D

Jeff

Anybody make a camera that will turn the green and brown of the St. Lawrence river into blue, yellow and red of the carribean (and add 30 degrees water temp)?

I'm afraid you're stuck with the green and brown but the price of a DSLR housing should raise the water temp in your wetsuit a little

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom