Anyone want a salvage dive at Chatfield?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadSailor

New
Reaction score
On Saturday, June 13, 2009, I lost a sail overboard and would like to try to recover it. I was in a shallow (15-30 ft) cove near the marina when it went over. The sail was in a bag, though it may have come detached from it. Of course, I don't know if it's still in the cove or if it got picked up and drifted away. I can certainly point out the location to a diver.

I realize I'd have to pay someone to do this, and figure an hour worth of searching is about my limit before calling it a loss. So if you'd like to take a dive, let me know what it would cost and when you could do it, preferably right away, (and the feasibility of actually recovering it).

Diving in the main area of Chatfield is restricted, i.e., not allowed.

I think if one were to discuss this with the powers that be, maybe an exception could be made.

Just make sure you get permission before diving the main lake area as it is a nono.

Good luck finding the sail....

If you get permission, I would take a look.

If you can arrange premission for the State Parks Dept. I would be willing to assist with the search for the missing sail.

Hello Redball,

I have checked with the park and don't need permission. There are rules, but primarily that you can't dive on weekends and must have a flag. The area we'd be in is not in the middle of the lake, but a shallow cove. I have already arranged with BoulderJohn (previous post) about doing the dive on Thursday 7/2/09 at noon. He is bringing a dive partner with him. I am paying him $100, but will pay no more for more divers. If you're interested in joining him, you can either contact him directly or I can contact him for you. I think it would be great to have more eyes on the subject, but it sort of has to be his decision, and again, I won't be able to pay you. If you're still interested, let me know. Thank you.

I may need very good luck. Hopefully the main res is not all that stirred up. I was instructing at the scuba area in Chatfield this weekend, and with all the students (not mine, of course!) plowing through the silt on the bottom, we would not be able to see anything there unless we ran into it. As I said, with no students mucking it up, the main res should have better visibility.

John, I went around the entire Res on saturday and not only is the water in general more clear, a lot of the area has rock cliff so you won't be fighting the slit and mud.
honestly, IMHO the dive area is in the worst spot for divers, I'm guessing the bureaucrats blindly picked the farthest point from the boat dock as a matter of safety and fear from lawsuits, not as a place to enjoy diving.

Spencer, The sail is in Chatfield not Aurora. We didn't drink that much beer.

Back
Top Bottom