Anyone with the Deepblu cosmiq? Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So for those of us who (for whatever reason) would like to stick with NDLs, it kinda sounds like your feeling from the Comiq+'s progressive NDLs is that they aren't crazy conservative. I believe what you're saying is that Cosmiq+'s progressive are notionally similar to the Shearwater conservative, which, if you had to pick one, would be the one you'd ride (the medium being a little on the aggressive side). Is that an accurate summary?

Of course, it'd also be great if someone would be willing to take the time to post up the Cosmiq+'s progressive NDLs from Dive Plan mode...I'm noobish enough that I think that would be meaningful to me. :)

uhh sort of. I would dive the Shearwater on the middle setting if I was doing recreational diving, but only because if someone I'm diving with has theirs on liberal, I'll just sit at my safety stop for an extra few minutes and not care. If you are trying to maximize your NDL's, which I don't believe in because of the DCS risk especially after repetitive dives, then you may be like the people who dive Suunto's and get an annoying rap for calling dives earlier than other computers. I personally wouldn't dive an algorithm meaningfully more liberal than the Cosmiq Progressive, but again, I don't really give a d@mn about NDL's, and if diving with people who do, I'll stay down until they give a thumb or we hit a prescribed time limit.

What I don't like, is because it isn't a pure Buhlmann implementation, I don't know what they did to it to make adjustments. That's the "fuzzy math" portion of what they do, and is the reason I don't currently own one *much to Deepblu's dissatisfaction right now*, and the reason I will never own or recommend a Suunto. I want to be able to predict what my computer would do, and it shouldn't penalize me for short SIT's, sawtooth profiles, etc. If they gave me one, I would have no issue diving it, would stick it on Progressive, and just leave it there forever and not care. They haven't given me one yet, and since most of my diving is in a cave where this has no business going except in gauge mode, I have no real burning desire to spend money on it yet

Keep in mind that NDLs discussed are generally 1st dive, clean. There is very little information available for repetitive dives, multiple days, some light deco....

Keep in mind that NDLs discussed are generally 1st dive, clean. There is very little information available for repetitive dives, multiple days, some light deco....

I have 4 dive data for this against others.

First three dives it lives halfway between Oceanic PZ+ and DSAT then on dive 4 it gets more liberal per Buhlmann
On all four dives it very closely follows Buhlmann 30/80 on an OSTC computer when on Progressive. Conservative and Normal are frankly not worth diving on the Cosmiq regardless of how risk averse you are. Progressive mode is more than conservative for even the most aggressive dive days.

If I were doing recreational only diving, and was diving with buddies that didn't care that I cut the dive shorter than they may have liked because of NDL's, then I would have 0 issues diving it which is why I recommend it to people. I think it's a better value than the Oceanic Geo 2.0 because it has the sync capabaility, is $50 cheaper, and just feels nicer, despite not having a second gas with decompression. I still think the Geo 2.0 is a brilliant little computer, though with used Petrel 2's for $500 on this forum right now, I would recommend buying one of those in a heart beat over either the Geo 2.0 or the Deepblue

If they allowed a second nitrox mix up to 100%, I would get over my issues with the algorithm and would have bought one already. I think that's coming soon and that will get me to bite the bullet

I don't really give a d@mn about NDL's

So, for the OP, keep in mind that tbone is certified for deco and that's why he doesn't care about NDLs. For anyone who is not trained on decompression diving, you definitely SHOULD care about NDLs. And for those people, you should at least give some thought to whether you want a computer that is conservative, and absolutely CAN limit your bottom times (if you follow your training) compared to computers other people are using, or whether you want a computer that is more liberal, but CAN be set for more conservatism, so you can choose for yourself which way you want to dive, and possibly even vary the settings you use based on conditions, etc..

Personally, I would not buy any computer that required use of a smartphone for anything. ALLOWING me to use a smartphone to accomplish some tasks on the dive computer is cool. Having tasks that REQUIRE use of a smartphone is not cool (for me), at all. That alone would be enough to stop me from buying a Cosmiq - and I am a serious Android-hacking, smartphone-totin' kind of guy. I love my smartphone. I just want my dive computer to be 100% self-sufficient.

I think the combination of features, algorithm, price, and customer support makes the Shearwater Perdix AI, hands-down, the best computer on the market right now. But, the price is out of a lot of people's budget. In which case, any new computer will have Nitrox support. So, I'd say to decide what form factor(s) you're willing to live with (console, puck, or watch), what algorithm(s) you're willing to live with (DSAT probably being the most liberal, and available in most models of Aeris, Oceanic, and Sherwood computers) and then buy the cheapest thing that meets your requirements, has Nitrox (which is a given nowadays), a backlight (I think older Suunto Zoops did not?) or self-illuminated screen (e.g. OLED), and Gauge Mode (in case you get a more liberal or tech computer later and want to use this one as a backup).

If you don't care about AI, it is true that the Shearwater Petrel (no compass) or Petrel 2 (has a compass) seems to be going for about $500, used, now and that would be an excellent choice if you don't mind the form factor (brick-ish) and can manage the budget.

A perfect example to illustrate my point (on why I would not buy a Cosmiq):

Lost on Planet Deepblu: how to get divelogs from Cosmiq+ to Mac?

I've had several dive computers. I'm sure I'll have more. I use Subsurface, which is free, open source dive log software that will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It supports every dive computer I've owned so far, except that it does not yet have Perdix AI support - but will soon.

I import from multiple computers that I carried on the same dives and it automatically matches up the dives from the different computers and merges them together, so the dive only shows once in my log.

I like being able to have one piece of dive log (and planning) software that I can use, no matter what computer(s) I have now or in the future. And I really like that it is free!

There is no way I would buy a computer where I was locked into only keeping my dive log in the manufacturer's proprietary app and/or website. Especially if it also required me to create a new online account (that I don't want).

I have a Cosmiq.

A few of the things I like:
1) Being able to set all settings via my iPhone.
2) Screen is bright and clearly readable.
3) Simple operation (because most settings are done via the phone)

Cons:
1) Only logging to cloud service now (but that will probably change if MacDive or Divelog authors get around to it)
2) Very conservative Buhlmann variant - my primary computer is still my shearwater.

And yes, or Deep 6 Computer is coming, the internal hardware is finished, the software is 90% the way I want right now, just need a few small case changes.

Cheers,
Landon
Any update on the deep 6? I need to get another computer pretty quick and looking at the deepblu, but would rather have the deep six.

I am around guys, just super busy at the moment... Hopefully will be able to come back with some updates soon.

I've got one on the way. I've got my primary Suunto that won't change, but I'm interested in test driving the Cosmiq and see how it compares. I'm not too worried about the algorithms, as I routinely dive fairly conservatively

Back
Top Bottom