anything in korea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netboy79

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for answering my last question, but now I have a new one. Last night I just found out that I came down on orders to go to Korea. I am not sure when I am leaving or exactly where in Korea I am going to be, all I know is that I am going. My question is, is there any good diving sites overthere? I plan on getting my OW certification before I leave, but I didnt want to get my certification and not dive for a whole year until I come back to the states.

thanks
netboy

Hi,

I'm sure no matter where you go you can find places that people will dive. Here in Iowa people dive in muddy lakes, so I'm sure people dive all over in Korea.

However, if you want nice clear high-visibility water, there are lots of places near Korea that would be great.

I think that people do some diving on Cheju Island. This is actually part of Korea; lots of honeymooners go there and it's kind of Korea's "tropical" island. Some Koreans refer to it as "Korea's Hawaii."

An inexpensive 3~4 hour plane ride away is Guam or Saipan. Someone on this board (I think ScubaBunny?) is in Guam and could probably clue you in on options there.

Another place that's even closer than Guam is Okinawa. I think it's probably about 2.5 hours flight from Seoul. Probably more expensive than Guam and better/more fun if you speak some Japanese (though you can do fine with English due to the U.S. military presence).

If you're in the military, can you get free travel to other US bases? If so, both Guam and Okinawa would be really cheap to go to. Even if not, I know Guam is inexpensive to get to from Korea.

Have fun and good luck!

Chris

Most of the water in Korea is about as clean as the stuff just brought in through the pipes at the local sewage plant. Off the coast there are some nice places for swimming, so I would suspect that one could dive there as well. I did not dive when I was there ( 83 to 84, and again 88 to 89) so I can't tell you for sure. I have traveled the country a lot, and I never saw any water inland that I would even touch!

Ft. Gordon, let me guess.... 11 series MOS? If so, expect to be going up north somewhere near the DMZ. You can get to other places by catching a "hop" on an airforce plane on a regular basis, if you can get a pass, or better yet if you don't want to come back to the states for mid-tour stay at one of the places mentioned in the above post. You may never get a chance to go to some of these places again. Take advantage of it if you can.

I just thought of something. There are some really beautifull beaches that are on the northeast coast. Most of the beaches are closed, mines in and out of the water, but some are open for use. We did a quite a few 50 foot passes over them and it sure was pretty.

Good luck and have fun.

Later, Hawk.

Originally posted by chris_b
Hi,

I'm sure no matter where you go you can find places that people will dive. Here in Iowa people dive in muddy lakes, so I'm sure people dive all over in Korea.

However, if you want nice clear high-visibility water, there are lots of places near Korea that would be great.

I think that people do some diving on Cheju Island. This is actually part of Korea; lots of honeymooners go there and it's kind of Korea's "tropical" island. Some Koreans refer to it as "Korea's Hawaii."

An inexpensive 3~4 hour plane ride away is Guam or Saipan. Someone on this board (I think ScubaBunny?) is in Guam and could probably clue you in on options there.

Another place that's even closer than Guam is Okinawa. I think it's probably about 2.5 hours flight from Seoul. Probably more expensive than Guam and better/more fun if you speak some Japanese (though you can do fine with English due to the U.S. military presence).

If you're in the military, can you get free travel to other US bases? If so, both Guam and Okinawa would be really cheap to go to. Even if not, I know Guam is inexpensive to get to from Korea.

Have fun and good luck!

Chris

I have to second all of this. I've never been to Cheju, but I've heard the diving is pretty decent there.

I can speak first hand of Guam and Okinawa. I was stationed on and dove Guam from March 92 to Dec 94, and I currently live on Okinawa. Both are pretty close to Korea and both are easy to get to by SpaceA (I assume you are on military orders?)

Don't let orders to Korea stop you from getting certified. You will find opportunities near-by!

thanks for the replies everyone. yes i am on military orders, nope not 11 series mos, 31U, but i do suspect that i will end up north in the DMZ. Oh well, i will try to make the best of it while i am there.

thanks
netboy

When I first came down on orders for Korea I was not happy at all. After my first tour there I was excited about being able to back the next time. Besides spending about 5 months in Central America, it was probably my favorite place I went to. Like I said, have fun and experience all you can there. After getting out of the Army I wish I had been into diving at the time. Getting to go to places like this with all of the opportunities to have fun and not having to pay to do it, is something you will never be able to do again.

Later, Hawk.

Yes there is lots of diving in Korea. The best time of year to dive is late summer to mid fall. The water is usually cold at depth with good visibility. There is diving all year round though. I have been diving on the East coast in Sockcho which is about 4-6 hour drive from Seoul depending on traffic. If you send me a private e-mail I can give you the names of Korean instructors that speak english and that can help you with dive trips or training at a good price. Equipment is very expensive so bring it with you or get it sent in later through the APO. Custom made wetsuits/drysuits are a good deal however. I have not run into any American instructors other than myself and I am heading back to the States very soon but may be back in the summer. With a little effort you should be able to get to the water. At the places I have been, it's a short boat ride and your at the dive site. All types of training are available from open water to rebreather and other tec diving.

When you find out where you'll be stationed let me know. I just trained a Korean Air Force officer and his wife last summer, and if y'all are within shouting distance I'll try to get you together with them.
Rick
P.S. If you don't already love garlic & hot peppers, learn to - quickly.

Back
Top Bottom