AOI Q1 vs Sea & Sea YS-01 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here used AOI Q1 strobe and willing to share your opinion on the built quality, reliability (firing success/failure), and whether you use 1 vs 2 strobes, macro vs wide-angle. Please do share some photos too. Considering this vs Sea & Sea YS-01, but price point of Q1 is extremely attractive.
Someone subjectively commented that the Q1 is "really sheet"...but unsure if it's a biased remark.
Thank in advance

I haven't used the Q1 myself, but I've seen remarks that its behavior is very similar to Backscatter MF-1, minus the snoot accessory. The packaging is completely different, but the actual light head is near-identical. MF-1s are known as good macro strobes (although, in no small part, this is due to the snoot), but few people will make the claim of using them for wide-angle. YS-01 is not very powerful, but compact camera users do employ them for wide-angle photography with decent results.

I have the aoi q1 and found it weak.
Works well for macro only imho

Thank you both! I think I might just go straight for the Inon Z 330, but once rather than going for a slow upgrade. Anyone know if the Inon Z 330 battery compartment is separate to the other parts of the strobe, like the Sea & Sea?

As far as I know, the battery compartments on Inon strobes are not sealed away from the electronics. If this is a critical feature for you, I would look at Retra Prime X - it has a sealed battery compartment, a leak detector (the strobe will start flashing its LED and beeping if it detects water intrusion), and it doesn't suffer from the reliability issues that Sea & Sea YS-D2/D3 are infamous for. Its battery cap also slides in and tightens with a screw knob, with two o-rings in sequence, instead of the single o-ring twist-on caps that both Inon and Sea & Sea use.

I have no experiences with AOI Q1 - but, in term of reliability I have two (2) Sea&sea YS-01 and two (2) Sea&Sea YS-D1 I am currently using as a paperweights with a buzzing or green blinking features. No help from Sea&Sea.
on my last trip, I had to go back to using my 15 year old Inon D-2000 which I retired it 5 years ago.

I have no experiences with AOI Q1 - but, in term of reliability I have two (2) Sea&sea YS-01 and two (2) Sea&Sea YS-D1 I am currently using as a paperweights with a buzzing or green blinking features. No help from Sea&Sea.
on my last trip, I had to go back to using my 15 year old Inon D-2000 which I retired it 5 years ago.
My ys 01 flooded and thrown away
Picked up a brand new ysd2 for around 400 dollars a while ago when divers direct was having their anniversary party/specials
so far no issues but I probably jinxed myself lol

Yes, so far have heard really good stuff about Inon. Am seriously looking at just getting the Z330 straight up. Buy it once, buy it right I suppose?

Yes, so far have heard really good stuff about Inon. Am seriously looking at just getting the Z330 straight up. Buy it once, buy it right I suppose?
Me, no more Sea&Sea. A good friend of mine still using the D2000 type 1 - probably 20 years old, still working well.
Since I have the old D-2000 type 2, to pair it for WA, I will opt D-200 - this is the replacement of D-2000. Pricewise significantly cheaper than Z330. Indeed, Z330 is more powerfull but I need to balance with with my D-2000.

Back
Top Bottom