AOW and deep dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will definitely take that advice Meredith thanks. I am hoping to do quite a few more dives this year coming up.

LowDrag it sounds to me like you are on the right path. Continue on your knowledge path and get more experience. You can’t replace experience with training. Training is important to continue to grow as a diver, however a master diver that has only training dives is much less qualified than an experienced OW certified diver with hundreds of dives under his belt and a willingness to read and learn from others outside of the classroom. Dive with people you respect, learn from the best, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Most divers are very happy to share knowledge, but don’t always believe everything you hear. I can tell you in my years of diving I have heard some crazy things that were nowhere close to being accurate. Remember that we are all ultimately responsible for ourselves and there is always more to learn. Enjoy the diving experience.

if you have to ask.....maybe better to get some more diving in before planning wreck dives at 100'. Get more diving in and as you feel more comfortable work your way down to 100'. That way you'll enjoy your dive a lot more and maybe you'll be able to stay there more than 5 minutes. (if your not comfortable you will be sucking your tank empty pretty fast)

My question was about deep diving after AOW and are divers really prepared to dive deep or does AOW just get your feet wet and you need more training to be able to handle diving deep. Aquaregisa's question to me was something along the lines of how deep do I want to dive. My response was that I want to be able to dive on wrecks that hit the 100' mark. A lot of wrecks I have read about seem to be at 80 - 100' or more and I would like to be qualified to dive to that depth if needed. So, what I am looking for is some basic info or thoughts on how qualified you are after AOW. I am currently OW certified thru SSI.

Thanks...

You are "qualified" to 100' after AOW, but you might consider getting more experience and gradually increasing your depth as aquarega suggested. Theoretically all the skills you learned in OW are the same at 100', but you might want to find out before you actually experience any of them @ 100'.

To be good at any skill it takes time and practice, somehow people get the idea that diving is exempted.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

LowDrag it sounds to me like you are on the right path. Continue on your knowledge path and get more experience. You can’t replace experience with training. Training is important to continue to grow as a diver, however a master diver that has only training dives is much less qualified than an experienced OW certified diver with hundreds of dives under his belt and a willingness to read and learn from others outside of the classroom. Dive with people you respect, learn from the best, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Most divers are very happy to share knowledge, but don’t always believe everything you hear. I can tell you in my years of diving I have heard some crazy things that were nowhere close to being accurate. Remember that we are all ultimately responsible for ourselves and there is always more to learn. Enjoy the diving experience.

I definitely plan on getting more experience. I absolutely agree with the "experience beats book knowledge" type thought any day of the week. Combining the two would only make someone a stronger diver.

Thanks

if you have to ask.....maybe better to get some more diving in before planning wreck dives at 100'. Get more diving in and as you feel more comfortable work your way down to 100'. That way you'll enjoy your dive a lot more and maybe you'll be able to stay there more than 5 minutes. (if your not comfortable you will be sucking your tank empty pretty fast)

I am thinking you came in and skimmed this thread maybe. I have said right along that I know I need more experience and that I am only looking ahead. I do understand your point but that is already in the plan.

Thanks

You are "qualified" to 100' after AOW, but you might consider getting more experience and gradually increasing your depth as aquarega suggested. Theoretically all the skills you learned in OW are the same at 100', but you might want to find out before you actually experience any of them @ 100'.

To be good at any skill it takes time and practice, somehow people get the idea that diving is exempted.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Thanks Bob, more experience is definitely in the plan. I am definitely making a plan to further my education, connect with someone who would be a god mentor and expand my experience.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom