Aow=bs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conceivably, you could have a computer with a needle in your vein that would test your nitrogen level directly.

Unless you had sensors all throughout your body in a variety of tissues, that wouldn't be enough.

And yet, I did. And no, there's no 'S' on my chest.

In which case you obviously dont have to contend with proper currents. In other words currents that you cant swim against.

I don't know where "proper" currents are the norm...all I know is the rather limited diving experience I have. However, one of my favorite places can have currents that will rip the mask right off your face. The charter there has 20 foot lines from the bottom of the ladders, like a lot of boats do, but it also has a 350 foot "uh-oh line" with a large float that trails down current. If a diver who has removed his fins AFTER grasping the ladder line AND then gets knocked off the ladder or line and can't put his fins back on and swim against the current to the boat, they simply swim across the current until they reach the long line. If they still can't fight the current hand over hand and/or swimming, then the zodiac is dispatched or they are "reeled in".
I guess that's as close to "proper currents" as we get in my neck of the woods.

In which case you obviously dont have to contend with proper currents. In other words currents that you cant swim against.

As I said, it was a flag current. Couldn't get to the wreck without using the line.
If I'd drifted another 20 feet, no, I wouldn't have been able to, but I was in good shape, and numerous people have complained about keeping up with me on a casual sightseeing dive. I also don't choose fins on how easy they are to kick.

Unless you had sensors all throughout your body in a variety of tissues, that wouldn't be enough.

It would be more than we have now - one step at a time.
Computers have memories, and no tissue will ever exceed the highest nitrogen level seen in the blood over the course of the dive.
A doppler sensor is also a possibility.

Why don't we all just agree that it's best not to swim against currents we can't handle, and then just grab the line and and call it a day when we have to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom