AOW cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Mine was $259, 2 days of boat diving and 2 shore dives (night and DPV) all books etc included. Through IANTD with B&B Scuba.
My favorite Maui dive shop ... :D

Back to the topic ... my AOW is $250, including books and C-card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ScubaSteve...the SDI Computer Nitrox Course that you said is an intro. IS a certification that allows me to rent and/or get Nitrox fills up to 40%. That course costs $75 just like the other advance courses. The TDI simply gets more indepth with info about nitrox diving and is $150.

I never said it was an intro, I ASKED if it was, as that makes a difference in cost, dives and times.

By the way, what you are saying makes no sense in the world.

Either you get a full nitrox course that allows you to purchase and use nitrox up to 40% all by yourself, or you get a useless quasi-intro which shouldn't allow you to do much of anything.

If what you say is true, then why would anyone take a TDI course over the SDI. To pay $75.00 more?? Something isn't right here.

Unless of course the SDI undertrains the heck out of you and then lets you lose to buy nitrox with nill for training.

I'm seriously confused now :)

BTW I have the TDI version, plus most of the other TDI courses as well, but I don't have a full handle on what SDI is doing.

I'd really like an SDI/TDI Instructor to chat with us about this one.

dude, from what I understand so far, if your computer calculates Nitrox dives for you, and you take the SDI Nitrox course, and you dive with of to 40% Nitrox, you know enough to get Nitrox fills and dive with it. For some this might be a science. But in my opinion, after reading the TDI Nitrox course book and not finding it difficult, SDI's Nitrox Certification if simply, a basic course that is good enough to allow you to go diving with Nitrox.
Obviously TDI and Padi are quite different in some areas especially price. Why would TDI charge $75 for one and $150 for the other? To make money. Why would they also offer TDI Advance Nitrox Course? Why don't they just offer ONE Nitrox Course that teaches you everything there is to know about Nitrox Diving instead of three courses? I don't know. It makes me think that its just a matter of being able to charge more.
There isn't a whole lot to know about Nitrox. You learn what it does to the body and eqipment. You figure out the MODS. You get your fills. You plan your dive, and dive your plan. Its nothing like taking physiology in college.

My LDS offers an advanced nitrox course. The difference is that it allows for fills greater than 40%. Plus it goes into more detail about O2 cleaned regs & Bcs. I'm sure there is more, but I haven't taken the class & probably won't. I don't know what they are charging for the advanced course, and they only offer it once a year.

Oh yeah - My AOW cost from SSI

4 Specialties
Nitrox - $115 (included 2 nitrox fills)
Search & Recovery - $85
DrySuit - $135 (included use of drysuit)
Equipment Specialty - $95

All Specialties included 2 boat dives. He never charges for anyone to go on his boat as long as there is room.

Two of us took our NAUI AOW aboard a Blackbeard charter this past November. $125.00 included lectures on deep diving, salvage recovery, navigation, wreck diving, night diving and environmental awareness. Our instructor gave the lectures during surface intervals along with an assignment for the upcoming dive. She accompanied us on the deep dive and there were no books or extra charges.

all4scuba05:
dude, from what I understand so far, if your computer calculates Nitrox dives for you, and you take the SDI Nitrox course, and you dive with of to 40% Nitrox, you know enough to get Nitrox fills and dive with it. For some this might be a science. But in my opinion, after reading the TDI Nitrox course book and not finding it difficult, SDI's Nitrox Certification if simply, a basic course that is good enough to allow you to go diving with Nitrox.
Obviously TDI and Padi are quite different in some areas especially price. Why would TDI charge $75 for one and $150 for the other? To make money. Why would they also offer TDI Advance Nitrox Course? Why don't they just offer ONE Nitrox Course that teaches you everything there is to know about Nitrox Diving instead of three courses? I don't know. It makes me think that its just a matter of being able to charge more.
There isn't a whole lot to know about Nitrox. You learn what it does to the body and eqipment. You figure out the MODS. You get your fills. You plan your dive, and dive your plan. Its nothing like taking physiology in college.

Lots to chew on here, so lets do the easy stuff here first.

The TDI advanced Nitrox has nothing to do with recreational nitrox use, so it's not comparable to any recreational course that either SDI or padi has in this regard.

As for the "difference" between a $75.00 SDI full cert Nitrox course vs. the TDI full cert nitrox course for $150.00

Lets just say I have no clue just what it is they're triying to prove, if you still get a full nitrox cert out of either the SDI or TDI deal.

This seems strangely unreal, but then again, we're talking the business of selling scuba diving c-cards here, so I'll believe just about anything.

The TDI version is indeed the basics and not tough, so I can't see how the SDI version as you purpose could be any less informing really.....hmmm.

No matter, dude, as it won't affect how I teach it in any event. :)

Regards

Back
Top Bottom