AOW deep diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, you can train topside for a "dark narc" pretty well by doing whippets of nitrous oxide while watching the movie version of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Hopefully one of the agencies will be including that as a mandatory part of AOW training soon.

IMO, you can train topside for a "dark narc" pretty well by doing whippets of nitrous oxide while watching the movie version of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Hopefully one of the agencies will be including that as a mandatory part of AOW training soon.

I think you'd get a more accurate result if you went to California, applied for a medical exemption for training purposes & used the products from one of their boutique pharmacologists.

So, the consensus of this thread is to drive myself to the nearest bar and buy at least 3 martinis and then explain the effects of narcosis to the bartender should he care to listen :D

So, the consensus of this thread is to drive myself to the nearest bar and buy at least 3 martinis and then explain the effects of narcosis to the bartender should he care to listen :D

I'm in. What time do we leave?

I think you'd get a more accurate result if you went to California, applied for a medical exemption for training purposes & used the products from one of their boutique pharmacologists.

I dunno: Of the three mind-altering substances we're talking about here - cannabis, alcohol, or nitrous oxide - compared to the narcotic effect of nitrogen under pressure, I really think nitrous best reproduces the effect. YMMV of course.

Perhaps because it's also a gaseous nitrogen-based compound? I don't know the mechanism of action for narcosis or a nitrous high, but I do know that THC binds to receptors in your brain specifically tuned to cannabinoids (cats have their catnip, perhaps there's a plant for every animal...), while ethyl alcohol just basically numbs any brain cell it touches while it waits around in the blood to be eventually broken down by the liver.

Narcosis and nitrous just don't quite fit either of those two mechanisms, although of course some of the effects overlap.

Also, nitrous is just like narcosis and unlike those other two in that, once you remove the stimulus and take a couple breaths of fresh air (or nitrogen under lower pressures), the effect pretty much immediately vanishes.

All just hypothetically speaking, of course... :crafty:

Well, I thought we were after a dark nark here. But, in the spirit of cooperation, I say we use all 3 substances.

I guess I'm presuming that the only difference between a "regular" narc and a "dark" narc is psychological, not physiological. But of course that may not be true.

So, what kind of consciousness-altering substances also cause similar "regular" vs. "dark" varieties of experience? I've heard of LSD, mushrooms, and other hallucinogenic drug users having "bad trips" vs. "good trips". What's the difference there? I've never used a hallucinogen, but something tells me narcosis isn't really a very similar experience. Anyone here ever had a "bad trip" before who has also experienced narcosis and can compare the two (and is willing to talk about it)?

But you just don't usually hear those "dark" terms with cannabis or alcohol. Has anybody had a "dark whippet" experience? What's a "dark drunk"? I'm not talking about a bad experience doing something stupid under the influence or having a bad hangover - I mean, where the experience itself is dark and terrifying, such that if you experienced it you would not voluntarily want to do it ever again.

I've noticed that some individuals are highly resistant to and paranoid about "losing control" to almost any consciousness-altering experience. I suspect for them almost any such experience is likely to be "dark". While others of us see consciousness as a more fluid thing to begin with and aren't as bothered by that aspect.

If so, then personality itself might be involved, lending one person more predisposed to "dark narc" than another - if so, my guess is that folks who rank as a Myers-Briggs "J" would be more susceptible to this control-loss paranoia than those who rank "P" (roughly corresponding to the "conscientiousness" variable in the Big Five).

Additionally, a diver already has a lot to worry about, so just the sheer suddenness and awareness of the narcosis effect is perhaps likely to push someone over into a paranoid "dark narc" experience. That might also be possible under the influence of THC, for example, and cause a "dark high", but it's not likely simply because it's not going to happen suddenly and unknowingly on the part of the recipient - and the onset would be less sudden as well.

The specific affect of "tunnel focus" while narced - i.e. the tendency not to be able to keep too many things in mind at once, and the corresponding tendency to over-focus on just one thing - might in itself be the cause of a lot of "dark narcs", because the diver knows they need to focus on several things, but can't.

That one characteristic of "over-focus" seems also to be very common on nitrous, which is why I joked that you might be able to simulate a dark narc by watching The Wall whilst huffing whippets.

So, the consensus of this thread is to drive myself to the nearest bar and buy at least 3 martinis ......
NO NO NO ..... you should not drive yourself to the bar ... this is about diving .... therefore you need a buddy driving you to the bar - and back safely :wink:

Back
Top Bottom