AOW Dilemma. Need some input, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some good points.

I am very much lke several of the above in that I am particular as to who I spend my money with. I generally refuse to give money to vendors (what what a LDS is) who don't appreciate my business.

That said, you are there improve your skills. Therefore nothing is more important than that. If you have an instructor you like and can learn from, go there. You want to not patronize that particular LDS? Buy your gear elsewhere. That's where he makes his money.

However when in a learning environment, go with the best teacher. MANY years ago when I was in college, I paid for my education by being a flight instructor. I learned that there were a lot of great pilots who couldn't teach for "doo doo", and there were some good pilots who were great instructors. You ALWAYS go with the best instructor for you....always. And I don't see diving as any different.

I actually had a somewhat similar experience when I got my OW - but the comment was directed towards me. During the first class while swimming laps in a small pool with a bunch of guys that were causing a lot of turbulence, I was doing a turn and heard one of the instructors comment on the fact that I was behind the rest of the "pack" by saying "Oh, she's not going to make it." I was really offended. In the end I made it just fine, and kicked all the guys butts in all skills, etc (I am lifeguard certified so I recognize the difference between the need to swim hard and fast v. need to get the laps done for the sake of the laps) - but it still rubbed me the wrong way.

I go back to that dive shop because I feel a sense of "nostalgia" about the shop and the training IS good, etc. but I don't like the feeling of resentment, etc. So it makes spending $$$ there really hard. I tend to spend my "gear $" at other establishments and only my "training $" at that store.

Sorry for the rant. Good to get that off my chest though :)

PS: Funny that the instructor who said that actually became my favorite instructor in the end.

The instructor is more important than the shop owner in this case. If you liked your instructor, then take the class from him/her.

BTW if you do go to a different agency, there's no problem. It doesn't matter what agency you got your original cert from.

Just as an aside comment, do you know what the shop owner meant with "I don't agree with....."? I'm a DM, but most of the helping I do is at a university. If given a choice, I would rather spend 16 weeks with students than just a weekend in the pool and a weekend in open water, like what is common today.

It may not have been a statement that questions quality, rather it may reflect the owner's difficulty in adapting to the current modality of instruction. There is less influence by the certifying agency on Specialty Courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom