AOW? Joke? Meaningless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't flame you ... at the core, we all dive to have fun, and that means different things to different people. We've had several debates on ScubaBoard over the years about warm water vs cold water divers. Ultimately it's not the temperature/conditions of the water that defines the type of diver you become ... it's the frequency with which you dive, and the attitude you take into the water with you. Those who aspire to become skilled, and are willing to put in the requisite effort, will be ... regardless of where they dive.

I'm sure there are many great instructors in warm water locations ... I'm going to go diving with one or more of them in Hawaii next month (Kona Diving Company).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... if the Chinese divers I ran into ... or more accurately, who landed on me ... in the Maldives were anything to go by, training isn't even required to get a c-card in that country ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would hope not. After all if you can buy just medical and law licences, I would hope that holds true for c-cards.

In my opinion they could be combined as well. But depending on cost maybe only one at time is possible as the initial cost is high for most. I agree with @Freewillow, doing the rescue is definitely a confidence booster in ability and safety concerns. I have friends that are just OW and fantastic but I have some some places require that AOW certification. I was fortunate and did them back to back and was able to complete it on my first live aboard as my instructor coordinated the live aboard.

Back
Top Bottom