AOW student dies in training: Alberta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry crush, I didn't mean to imply that you were blaming. That said, let me try to armchair quarterback :wink: Asking as a non-rescue certified diver, would it not have been a possiblity, given the diver falling back down, to descend, get the diver back on air, and try to release weight on the bottom before trying to bring the diver to the surface again?

I had thought that the victim may have been a paniced diver, which of course who certainly explain the actions of the buddy.

Just like the Florida incident --- no one thought to dump the victim out of his gear?

I'd be having some hard looks at who trained these divers, were I related to the victim.

Agreed, but you need to make a rather quick decision at that moment on what to do. A free flowing reg can empty a tank awful fast. Do you, fix the problem underwater, go to your buddy and his octo and abort the dive, or do you swim up aborting the dive.

That's easy. It's an OW no-deco recreational dive in cold water. The procedure is exactly the same as for any other air-delivery failure: you and your buddy end the dive and surface, sharing air if necessary.

"Easy" and "works every time" is much safer and more useful than trying to make a decision under severe time constraints with a huge distraction level where a bad decision could be fatal.

The only thing an OW diver really needs to know in an emergency is how to safely get to the surface and stay there.

flots.

Most of the rescues ive done are paniced divers in 30 feet.
Well there ya go then ... you don't need AOW to deal with someone at 30 feet ... and a Rescue class will train someone how to deal with a panicked diver. AOW will not. So why shouldn't we put safety first and train people from the outset how to deal with these problems. It might save their bacon once they start diving in more challenging conditions.

I mean again its all up to the diver i mean padi and these other certifications give there requirments but its up to the instructor and the store.
Stores are in business to make money ... it's sometimes an inherent conflict of interest with respect to what's best for the student.

Also i highly doubt in your OW course you get the students to perform squares, directional paterns, and ppb in different levels of water with different exercises ie hula hoops, decent hovers and so on. . . I could be wrong i suppose?
No ... you'd be right ... I don't do those things in OW. Nor do I understand what relevence they have to training someone to self-rescue ... or to help someone else. What I do cover in OW is rescue tows, basic navigation, and how to bring an unconscious diver up from the bottom in approximately 20 feet of water. Those are mandated by my agency, and I believe they are essential skills that should be taught at the OW level.

At the Rescue level, we cover basic search patterns ... contour (using constant depth), parallel (using constant heading), circular and semi-circular (using a reel). These rescue skills build upon what was learned in OW. AOW skills are not necessary to teach Rescue ... they are needed for diving in more challenging environments. These are two completely different types of classes, and there is little to no overlap in the skills needed in one to build upon the other. And to my concern, Rescue is the more important of the two to train the diver in sooner.

Who's to say that if the diver in this incident we're discussing had Rescue skills, he might have avoided being dead right now? Knowing how to deal with a situation greatly reduces the tendency of divers to panic ... a panicked diver is someone who is faced with a problem they see no rational way to deal with ... panic is the mind's irrational response to that situation. Rescue class trains a diver how to deal with problems ... and more importantly, how to recognize the onset of a situation that's going to lead to a problem, so they can take action to prevent the accident from happening in the first place. I'm firmly in favor of providing divers these tool as soon after their basic certification as possible.

I dont think someone with 4 ow dives is able to either, and id trust task loading a AOW more then an OW.
It depends on the diver ... but I'd trust someone with OW and Rescue to be far more capable of making better decisions for either self-rescuing or helping another diver than I would someone who's only OW and AOW ... because the latter has never been trained how to deal with a problem situation. It boils down to which tools the diver will find more useful in a crisis ... those covered in Rescue or those covered in AOW. I'm sure the AOW diver could probably navigate a better square, or swim more smoothly though a hula hoop ... I just don't see how that'd be more useful in an emergency.

Telling people they need 50 dives before they can take anymore courses is overkill! diving is adult education
I don't tell my students how many dives they need between classes ... I tell them what level of skill and comfort I expect them to have before class begins ... in most cases I go diving with them and evaluate where they're at, and if needed I will tell them what they need to work on before we begin. I do that because I want my students to get the most value for their money ... and they can best accomplish that by being prepared to focus on the goals of the class.

diving is adult education, you get told the risks and you get told the requirments and its up to the adult student to decide if there ready and the instructor to monitor them through out!
How would someone who's never done something ... who has no idea what doing that something involves ... be able to decide if they're ready? On what criteria would they base that decision?

There is a big difference between telling someone the risks and teaching them how to deal with those risks. The instructor is the best person to know whether or not a student is adequately prepared to achieve the class objectives. I don't "monitor" my students ... I train them. It's an interactive process ... and one that is best achieved when students come to class adequately prepared.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm beginning to believe that the fundamental problem here is that dive professionals in Alberta don't how to perform a rescue ... much less teach one.

Ouch. Bob, I think your giving coldwatercanada too much credit. His comments shouldn't be used to paint all dive professionals in Alberta with the same brush. There's some good ones and some bad ones, probably like Washington state.

We don't know what the status of the buddy was (cert or experience level) and the rescuers were instructor level. The actions that were portrayed to me seemed reasonable given the circumstance (not the ramblings of coldwatercanada). Locate the diver and bring them to the surface ASAP. When rescuer 2 and 3 arrived vis would have been close to zip due to silt stirred up by rescuer 1 trying to extriacte the victim solo. Rescuer 1 tryed to release the weight belt but was unsure if this was successful due to the lack of vis at the time, at least to my understanding of the situation.

Reactions: Jax
Ouch. Bob, I think your giving coldwatercanada too much credit. His comments shouldn't be used to paint all dive professionals in Alberta with the same brush. There's some good ones and some bad ones, probably like Washington state.

We don't know what the status of the buddy was (cert or experience level) and the rescuers were instructor level. The actions that were portrayed to me seemed reasonable given the circumstance (not the ramblings of coldwatercanada). Locate the diver and bring them to the surface ASAP. When rescuer 2 and 3 arrived vis would have been close to zip due to silt stirred up by rescuer 1 trying to extriacte the victim solo. Rescuer 1 tryed to release the weight belt but was unsure if this was successful due to the lack of vis at the time, at least to my understanding of the situation.

... and manually inflating the victim's BCD? You should be able to do that by feel. I was under the impression that the rescuers were all dive professionals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know what happened or how the rescue was performed I was just talking about rumors I heard bud. They could have been ssi instructors for all we really know.

What does the certification agency have to do with anything??? Didn't you say you got booted before for PADI vs the world?

if the rumors about having to use a stage bottle are true that would imply they weren't in a safe position to inflate the victims bcd any other way

What does using a stage bottle have to do with inflating a victims BCD. If I was involved with an OOA and had a pony, I would pass it off. Seems like a prudent thing to do. This has nothing to do with manual inflation of a BCD.

... and manually inflating the victim's BCD? You should be able to do that by feel. I was under the impression that the rescuers were all dive professionals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Fair enough Bob, I'm not sure, like I said I'm not rescue certified, so I'm just going by what I feel was reasonable. I agree that certainly would have been an option, but not being rescue certified I don't think I would have considered that.

Lets say rescuer numbers 2 and 3 got to the victim and only had min air left cause it was at the end of their dive and didn't have enough air/too panicked to orally inflate the victims bcd??? I don't know it was a rumor I heard.

Rescuer's 2 and 3 entered the water specifically for the rescue. I don't believe that gas was a limiting factor. I also am still unclear as to what this has to do with a stage/pony bottle and manual inflation of a BCD.

Fair enough Bob, I'm not sure, like I said I'm not rescue certified, so I'm just going by what I feel was reasonable. I agree that certainly would have been an option, but not being rescue certified I don't think I would have considered that.

... and doesn't that just hammer home the point I've been trying to make on this thread? Way too much emphasis on getting people AOW certified, so that they can go diving in more challenging conditions with absolutely no basic rescue skills.

That's bass-ackwards, to my concern. Consider taking a Rescue class ... it's a way better investment than AOW ... and it just might someday save your life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom