AOW - Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
GP and I went for our Advanced Open Water certification this weekend at Lake Wazee in Black River Falls Wisconsin. Friday night we did a night dive, which was totally cool! No bugs when we got out either, which was even better. Saturday morning we did Peak Performance Buoyancy, which turned out to be more beneficial than I thought. GP and I both dropped weight off our BC's and our diving is much improved do to increased buoyancy control. Next was the navigation dive, this went pretty well also and we made it back! After the navigation dive, GP and I decided we hadn't had enough yet so we went and rented another tank and did a dive with our cameras. We both had aluminum 80's and we were able to stay down for 65 minutes which we were both happy about. Average depth around 18 feet, just hovering above the bottom taking pictures of the 'toyland' and a lot of fish. We also saw a couple guys out there with rebreathers. Sunday morning we did our deep dive... or at least started to. We got down to about 100 feet for about 3 minutes and my regulator began freeflowing (water temp was around 40), after trying to adjust it with no avail, the instructor handed me his primary and he began breathing off of his alternate... Well, right as we were about to begin our ascent his alternate begins freeflowing! Now, I am using his primary and he is going for his pony bottle... we get to the surface (a little too fast) and he decided to call it a day, which we all agreed with... no sense taking any chances! The whole way up all I could think about was that GP was down at 100 feet by himself... but he did the right thing and began a slow ascent to the surface, made a 5 minute safety stop and came up. So now, GP and I are scheduled to do the remaining two dives on Labor Day... looking forward to it! All in all, awesome weekend despite the incident this morning... I feel this course is really worth it and I am much more comfortable diving now than I was before.

That is good, keep up the training.... it sounds like you had a really good time, congrats and keep on diving.

Rich :mean:

Wonderful account of your experience. I love night diving, too, but when u say "no bugs" to a California diver, we think you mean that there were no lobsters (I don't think mosquitos care much about the ocean.) Your somewhat scary moments sound like you kept a cool head & used good judgement. "Confidence-builders" is what we call them. I hope that your Labor Day trip is at least as nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom