Aow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, before I would start the wreck speciality I would take the peak performance buoyance and underwater nav specialities. These are VERY important skills to master and should be required.

Already done.

Hey stinggirl:

Congratulations!

Now how are your buoyancy, trim, gas consumption, and buddy skills? Classes are neat but just diving really hones these skills which are often overlooked but really necessary when advancing in education. So, marching through classes may get you education and cards, but the real experience comes from digesting and practicing what you learned and trying to be better each dive.

With kind regards,
Thomas

It's just like driving. You have to take the written test, then the driving test, then you apply what you've learned to become a good safe driver.
That's where I am now.

It's just like driving. You have to take the written test, then the driving test, then you apply what you've learned to become a good safe driver.
That's where I am now.

Yep, that's the idea... I'm thinking of doing the U/W Nav class but I've been busy with the other Specialties (Nitrox, Equipment, EFR, PPB, Deep & Wreck).

Just need to do the last 2 dives of Deep & Wreck then maybe in September I'll do the Nav but man all of these classes are cutting into my fun diving time! Seriously I'm trying to get in one Specialty per month and was doing good until the LDS convinced me to take Rescue at the last minute. No regrets there, it has made me a more attentive buddy as well as more aware of my own situation & surroundings.

My dive buddies all tell me by buoyancy is good but I'm sure it could be better. The Nav is something I really need to improve though. I need to get more confident at actually leading a dive. Gonna buy a nice Suunto SK-7 Compass as the one in the Suunto Computers isn't very reliable.

Anyway, keep diving and learning and enjoying.

Yep, that's the idea... I'm thinking of doing the U/W Nav class but I've been busy with the other Specialties (Nitrox, Equipment, EFR, PPB, Deep & Wreck).

Just need to do the last 2 dives of Deep & Wreck then maybe in September I'll do the Nav but man all of these classes are cutting into my fun diving time! Seriously I'm trying to get in one Specialty per month and was doing good until the LDS convinced me to take Rescue at the last minute. No regrets there, it has made me a more attentive buddy as well as more aware of my own situation & surroundings.

My dive buddies all tell me by buoyancy is good but I'm sure it could be better. The Nav is something I really need to improve though. I need to get more confident at actually leading a dive. Gonna buy a nice Suunto SK-7 Compass as the one in the Suunto Computers isn't very reliable.

Anyway, keep diving and learning and enjoying.

I also plan on doing the rescue diver course. For the reasons you mentioned. I just want to feel prepared if I encounter an emergency. Better safe than sorry.

I also plan on doing the rescue diver course. For the reasons you mentioned. I just want to feel prepared if I encounter an emergency. Better safe than sorry.

If you ever find yourself in the frigid Mid West (Chicago) look me up, you sound like the kind of dive buddy I could use more of!

BTW, don't forget to claim your Master Scuba Diver C-Card when you earn it. I'm going to if for no other reason than to see people's reactions when they want to assume I'm just a Card Collector....

That's where I am now.

OH!?...

Happy driving and diving. :)

Last edited:
If you ever find yourself in the frigid Mid West (Chicago) look me up, you sound like the kind of dive buddy I could use more of!

BTW, don't forget to claim your Master Scuba Diver C-Card when you earn it. I'm going to if for no other reason than to see people's reactions when they want to assume I'm just a Card Collector....

I actually was born in Gary, In and lived in Chicago until I was 14. I have family still there and in Arlington Heights. I do hope to go up. But not in the winter. I can still hear the snow crunch underneath my feet as I use to walk to school.

I actually was born in Gary, In and lived in Chicago until I was 14. I have family still there and in Arlington Heights. I do hope to go up. But not in the winter. I can still hear the snow crunch underneath my feet as I use to walk to school.

Well the only diving around here in the winter is ICE Diving!

Next visit, bring your gear and meet some of the "Great Lakes Wrecking Crew"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom