Apeks AT20 or SB S550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS is having a promotion and is trying to get rid of a few rental/used regs. Basically, for every new reg ($500 or more) purchased, they will throw in a free used reg to use as a secondary. Two caught my attention, the Apeks AT20 and the SB S550. Which would you take, considering that price, etc. aren't factors. The owner also wants to get rid of a used MK25 (God knows why...) and would throw it in for a very low cost if I take the S550. He said he'd do the same with the Apeks' first stage (whichever one it was sent with from the factory). Highly considering the SB as of now.

Get which ever one you like the look of the Apeks AT has been discontinued and is three generations old but basically size and the ability to use left or right are biggest deferences between AT, ATX and XTX (+ 2nd gen) Can't speak to the SP550 although am pretty sure it's a newer model. The Apeks is diaphragm and the MK25 is piston so if diving very cold water this may be a consideration. Breathing wise if properly tuned you'd likely not be able to tell the difference in a blind test. Apeks are very simple regs and basically all use the same service kit should you decide to go down the self servicing route.

i use Apeks but out of these two would probably choose the SP.

Get which ever one you like the look of the Apeks AT has been discontinued and is three generations old but basically size and the ability to use left or right are biggest deferences between AT, ATX and XTX (+ 2nd gen) Can't speak to the SP550 although am pretty sure it's a newer model. The Apeks is diaphragm and the MK25 is piston so if diving very cold water this may be a consideration. Breathing wise if properly tuned you'd likely not be able to tell the difference in a blind test. Apeks are very simple regs and basically all use the same service kit should you decide to go down the self servicing route.

i use Apeks but out of these two would probably choose the SP.

Thanks for the reply! I'm honestly torn between the two. I wanted to go with the SP mainly for the MK25. The coldest I'll be diving is 30 degrees, any colder and I'll have issues (borderline hypothermia).

What is the primary you are looking at? If you travel dive having same brand primary and secondary can make servicing easier i.e some shops will only service one brand and not the other, locally it might not be an issue seeing as your LDS sells both I assume they service both.

"They" say the Mk25 is good down to 50f but there are many who have used lower and reported no issue, but then there are some who have reported free flowing issues.

What is the primary you are looking at? If you travel dive having same brand primary and secondary can make servicing easier i.e some shops will only service one brand and not the other, locally it might not be an issue seeing as your LDS sells both I assume they service both.

"They" say the Mk25 is good down to 50f but there are many who have used lower and reported no issue, but then there are some who have reported free flowing issues.

Only 50 ft? That's a letdown! I was planning on selling my friend a B2 and simply repurchasing it from the shop along with another reg. The other reg would be for my friends girlfriend who has helped me through a lot recently. The total would have qualified for the new reg.
So as a first stage, would the Apeks be better than an MK25? Regardless of which reg I go for, the S500 or AT20 will end up being an octo to be honest

That would be 50 degrees fahrenheit not feet.
The MK25 is the highest flowing/performance 1st stage made, just not the best cold water reg.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

All generations of the Apeks have the same metal/working parts.....in fact you can swap out the air barrel from the TX and slip it into an AT or XT.
The AT model is my personal favorite of the 3.
In order of age the 20 second stage went T20, ATX20, XTX20.
(there was an earlier Reflex and a CTX as well)

That makes more sense. Most of the waters I dive are 55+. Would I be safe with the MK25? The coldest I've gone was around 45 far.
I do like the Apeks line in general, tried the ATX200 (I believe) and it was amazing, but ultimately went with the B2. Even at it's lowest setting at 80 feet, the flow was amazing...too good actually.
Ugh, this is such a hard decision!

A SP 550 is basically an S600 minus the adjuster. If the shop is motivated see if they will upgrade it for a nominal charge.

A SP 550 is basically an S600 minus the adjuster. If the shop is motivated see if they will upgrade it for a nominal charge.

I doubt they would. They are just trying to get rid of their old rental regs since they're turning over to newer SP regs. I'll ask, but I'm 99% sure the answer will be a no. I spoke with the shop owner this morning and here is the deal he is offering me if I purchase both a new reg and computer (I'm in the market for one anyways):

1. MK25 + S550 + Inflator hose (purchase new reg)
2. Atomic 1st stage (I didn't get which one) + AT20 + AT20 Octo + Inflator hose (new reg + computer)

I mainly dive in 50-70 degree waters, but I'm sure it that number is +-5 at times. I'll be purchasing a computer either way, so that isn't going to factor into my decision.
I'm currently running an AL Titan 1st stage with a B2 second stage. I'll probably be repurchasing the B2 and selling my current one to a friend just to get the back-up set.

Both are killer deals, especially since I won't be paying any additional for either

The MK25/S550 is a top of the line combo. The S550 breaths the same as a S600 but does not have the adjuster. As I mentioned before the second stage could be upgraded to a S600. You could probably flip it on eBay for $200 to $250 maybe more.

For the second set I am a bit confused. Is the first stage Apeks or Atomic? The AT20 probably would come with either a US4 or UST first stage. These are not cold water regs but can be upgraded to be. Either regulator should be OK in 50-70 degree water. The AT20 is Apeks bottom of the line (but still excellent) regulator.

My personal preference would be for the Scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom