Apeks AT20 or SB S550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Mk25 in 40f and Mk15 that is a grand father of mk25 in 36f.
I found the main factor is how good the second stage is. So you will be fine with mk25 in the temp range you mentioned.

That makes more sense. Most of the waters I dive are 55+. Would I be safe with the MK25? The coldest I've gone was around 45 far.
I do like the Apeks line in general, tried the ATX200 (I believe) and it was amazing, but ultimately went with the B2. Even at it's lowest setting at 80 feet, the flow was amazing...too good actually.
Ugh, this is such a hard decision!

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

In the case you described I would go with SP combo. If you ask them to upgrade the 2 nd stage to an S600 metal barrel and an adjuster then you have a top notch reg even for cold water.

The MK25/S550 is a top of the line combo. The S550 breaths the same as a S600 but does not have the adjuster. As I mentioned before the second stage could be upgraded to a S600. You could probably flip it on eBay for $200 to $250 maybe more.

For the second set I am a bit confused. Is the first stage Apeks or Atomic? The AT20 probably would come with either a US4 or UST first stage. These are not cold water regs but can be upgraded to be. Either regulator should be OK in 50-70 degree water. The AT20 is Apeks bottom of the line (but still excellent) regulator.

My personal preference would be for the Scubapro.

My apologies, I meant to say Apeks! I was mixing the B2 and Apeks for a second.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go with the MK25/S550 combo. So if I were to sell that set, I would be looking at a good $250?

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

I dove Mk25 in 40f and Mk15 that is a grand father of mk25 in 36f.
I found the main factor is how good the second stage is. So you will be fine with mk25 in the temp range you mentioned.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

In the case you described I would go with SP combo. If you ask them to upgrade the 2 nd stage to an S600 metal barrel and an adjuster then you have a top notch reg even for cold water.

Thanks a relief. Thank you!

I've been diving a Mk25/S555 for the past 4 years and am very pleased with it. Recently, I got a SP109 second stage. I now use that as my primary with the S555 on a necklace as my secondary. I agree with ams511. The Mk25/S555 (550) is an excellent combo.

Thanks everyone! Should I switch out the Titan 1st stage with the MK25? Or sell the MK25?
As stated, the coldest I'll be diving is around 45 degrees (f), if even that.

Thanks everyone! Should I switch out the Titan 1st stage with the MK25? Or sell the MK25?
As stated, the coldest I'll be diving is around 45 degrees (f), if even that.

Before you make any decisions, I would dive it to see if you like it. As others mentioned, a MK25 should be fine for water in the mid-40s.

I'm getting confused about what you've got, what you're selling, what you're going to buy and at what cost and what you want to swap with what. What are you ultimately wanting to achieve? If you feel inclined Id be grateful if you could run through it one more time. Cheers.

I'm getting confused about what you've got, what you're selling, what you're going to buy and at what cost and what you want to swap with what. What are you ultimately wanting to achieve? If you feel inclined Id be grateful if you could run through it one more time. Cheers.

My apologies, the shop keeps giving me a different offer every time I get on the phone with them.
I will be purchasing a new reg + computer. The total would qualify for a promotion that my shop is running (spend a pretty penny with them and they'll throw in an old rental set that they were either going to sell cheap, or give away as a second set)
I will be purchasing another Atomic B2 + a computer -haven't decided which one yet.
Here are the 2 reg packages that I have been offered:

1. MK25 + S550
2. Apeks UST + AT20 + AT20 octo

The only thing I would be paying is the service fee since it's been about a year since they were last serviced.

What I would like to know is, of the two which can I sell for more and which would make a better back-up reg set? I won't be diving in waters under 45 degrees.

The Scubapro will be worth more and the Apeks the better back-up reg.
If you plan on selling see if you can get it without paying for the service.

The Scubapro will be worth more and the Apeks the better back-up reg.
If you plan on selling see if you can get it without paying for the service.

The service was recommended, but of course optional. I may just go with the scubapro.

My apologies, the shop keeps giving me a different offer every time I get on the phone with them.
I will be purchasing a new reg + computer. The total would qualify for a promotion that my shop is running (spend a pretty penny with them and they'll throw in an old rental set that they were either going to sell cheap, or give away as a second set)
I will be purchasing another Atomic B2 + a computer -haven't decided which one yet.
Here are the 2 reg packages that I have been offered:

1. MK25 + S550
2. Apeks UST + AT20 + AT20 octo

The only thing I would be paying is the service fee since it's been about a year since they were last serviced.

What I would like to know is, of the two which can I sell for more and which would make a better back-up reg set? I won't be diving in waters under 45 degrees.

Ok I got it thanks. If you want to self service I'd go with the Apeks set. If you want best resale I'd go with SP. The MK25 is reported to be one of the best piston 1st stages, certainly SPs flagship 1st stage. The SP will likely breathe better. If you go with the SP I'd try for a SP octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom