Apeks BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainKidd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm switching over to a bp/wing set up in preparation for my upcoming UTD training. I've been working working with guys who dive DSS, Halcyon, OMS, DiveRite, etc... My shop however is an Apeks dealer and would rather me continue to dive in shop gear. So my question is: Does anyone out there in scubaboard land, have extensive experience with the apeks line? I'm not familiar with their gear.

Oh, I'm also picking up some Apeks regulators as well...

Thanks!

I have the single tank version of that - what specifically would you like to know?

I have been diving it now for about 5 years and love the BP & wings versus the other BC's I've had (most recently the Balance). It is really no different than others I have tried (Halcyon, Diverite) in how it performs underwater, the only differences are the nuances....d-rings, wing styles, accessories, etc. I like the idea of the weight pockets, but then most others have them too...but this came with them included in the price. I ditched the single tank strapping and got the Halcyon Weighted STA (straps were better, had weight I could remove if necessary, etc). Also have the MCA pack by Halcyon for the SMB storage.

The bladder is not as protected as some with and outer shell + inner bladder, but it seems to have held up pretty well with a trip every year to Cozumel, ice diving, standard fresh water lake diving and some pool work.

With all that said, I just bought a Halcyon Aluminum backplate for traveling, mainly because I wanted the Halcyon Quick Cinch system...which did not fit on the Apeks plate. I am retro-fitting the Apeks weight pockets onto the new plate and it will work with the cinch system.

Other than that...nice setup and I got it for a great price so no complaints on it at all except for the single tank strapping which I changed right away.

Well, the system I'm looking at is the SS plate with the 30lbs wing. The wing looks enormous though... Also what do you mean by single tank strapping? The system I'm looking at comes with an STA. Basically, a SS plate, 30lbs weing, STA, tank bands, harness. Just looking for feedback on this type of setup from apeks, that's all. Thanks a bunch for your time. I appreciate it. :)

Any of those conventional plates are very close in geometry, so much so that if you were not allowed to see which plate you were using you would be very hard pressed to tell any of them apart.
The Apeks plate will work just fine. You will need to set it up with a one piece Hog style harness
and depending on the wing you may need an STA if you are using a single tank. I don't know anything about Apeks wings but I'm sure they work just as good as anything else.

Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Apeks rigs, mine is a WTX Med with 30 lb wing. Advice these BC/rigs are big. I am 6'3" and 215 and a med is plenty big. I also dived/owned two Apeks regs Black Pearl and a Tungsten. Both are outstanding and you will probably never have a problem with them. Check, but I believe Apeks is now recommending 2 yrs between service. Hope that helps.

Im a dealer for most tech lines and a real big fan of Apeks regs. Im not impressed by the harness though, despite my old AquaLung reps best efforts to get me to stock them. Ive tried them and taught students in them and also have an instructor that owns one. Not a positive experience with any of them.

The gear is great quality, but its just not designed by tech divers and wont fit your UTD / DIR training. I would recommend Halcyon, DSS or Oxycheq as fitting the bill. The Halcyon stuff will give you the least adjustment / fitting issues out of all of them.

Have fun with the course!

Do you work for the shop? DM or otherwise?

Yes, I'm an instructor for the shop. Which is why I was giving the Apeks gear a shot. According to my research, Apeks regs seem to be a favorite amongst the tech/dir community, but the BP/W's not so much. I've had many recommendations for DSS, Halcyon, etc... Since my shop carries neither, I'm faced with a couple of issues. One, boss wants me in shop gear with students... makes sense. Second, I don't get the killer deal on the gear we don't sell.

Looks like I should start pitching some DSS and Halcyon to the boss! LOL.

Thanks for the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom