Apeks Din O ring ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddies Apeks TX50 has been having din o ring issues. O rings do not want to stay seated.

Today the reg was leaking from the manifold, although the O ring was still seated. This is the same O ring that worked fine last week. He tried replacing it but three new O rings and same leak.

What is the correct size for this O ring, the one visable from the outside? Could it be metric? I had a 112 and that was not the correct one.

Could it be leaking from the inner O ring on the din adapter, and what size is this one?

Any other Ideas, I'm thinking if not the o ring, maybe the the machining on the groove could be off a little.

It cost him a few dives today, thanks for any help.

the standard DIN O-ring is a '112'....but my DIN Atomics actually use a '111', a slightly smaller size.

I can confirm that the Apeks DIN o-ring is the non-standard -111 size.

Your buddy should have several -111 spares in his save-a-dive kit. It would be a good idea to add this size o-ring to your save-a-dive kit as well.

I have ordered 111, 112 and true DIN orings from McMaster - for most varieties of scuba gear, the 111 fits occasionally, the 112 mostly, and the true DIN always (and seems to stay in place the best).

I don't own Apeks regs, but have provided true DIN o-rings to friends and they fit perfectly.

All the best, James

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I have any 111's. We are going to try again tomorrow. I will have my spare regs this time to save his dive. Am hoping this is just an O ring issue.
I will look into that true din o ring.

I have ordered 111, 112 and true DIN orings from McMaster - for most varieties of scuba gear, the 111 fits occasionally, the 112 mostly, and the true DIN always (and seems to stay in place the best).

I don't own Apeks regs, but have provided true DIN o-rings to friends and they fit perfectly.

All the best, James

What is a true DIN o-ring that makes it different? I have the same issues with my XTX200's. The o-rings seems to be just slightly too large.
Sometimes when I turn my air on, it will leak for a moment until it pressurizes.
I looked at the link for the McMaster o-rings. What is Viton Fluoroelastomer Type?

What is a true DIN o-ring that makes it different? I have the same issues with my XTX200's. The o-rings seems to be just slightly too large.
Sometimes when I turn my air on, it will leak for a moment until it pressurizes.
I looked at the link for the McMaster o-rings. What is Viton Fluoroelastomer Type?

I checked that link as well. The difference is, those are metric O Rings. I am going to order some and see. Thanks James.

@carrielsal: What size DIN o-ring are you currently using with the first stage (FSR) for your XTX200? If you're using the standard DIN -112 size, then I'm not surprised that the o-ring seems to be slightly too large for the Apeks DIN fitting (which takes the -111 size). If your regs were just serviced/overhauled, then the reg tech installed the wrong-size o-rings. The regular yoke o-rings (-014) are also provided in the Apeks reg service kit, so I suppose a careless person might have mistakenly installed the -014 o-ring (which has a cross-section of 1/16-inch, outside diameter of 5/8-inch) instead of the correct -111 o-ring (which has a cross-section of 3/32-inch, outside diameter of 5/8-inch). The -111 o-ring is "fatter" and fills out the Apeks DIN groove nicely.

For more info regarding the size and composition of o-rings commonly used in scuba gear, Divegearexpress.com has published a nice webpage on the subject.

Here's an Apeks o-ring chart that I've found very helpful. Proprietary Apeks o-rings have been cross-referenced with standard-size o-rings.

I service my own Apeks regs, and, in my limited experience, I've found the cross-referencing chart to be accurate.

On some regs I've had to loosen the filter retainer slightly to allow the o ring to seat properly before re tightening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom