Apeks DS4 v. Xl4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMVORCA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the differences between the DS4 and the XL4? Apeks doesn't really say much and they seem to have rebranded the DS4 as the "XL4 Ocea" despite being very different on the outside. Thanks for your input.

XL4 comes in two flavours, save the Ocea design one with only engraving being the difference, the XL4, AKA DB4, standard has one hp port whilst the XL4 plus has two hp ports.

Internally is identical to a DS4 but environmental sealing end has changed, they are using a newly designed end cap and there is no longer a separate environmental diaphragm.

On the DS4 a c pin spanner was required to undo the enviro sealing cap but now a special tool is required.

There are now O rings protecting threads from contact with water on both ends of diaphragm clamp. It's a nice touch.

Still no removable crown.

Same service kit for DS4 and XL4 (DB4).

It's a slightly "better" design than the DS4 but not by much. Only real plus for me is the introduction of the second hp port on the plus version, but boy you're paying for it.

Personally if buying as first stage only, assuming DS4 is still cheaper, and if you didn't need the second hp port I'd be buying a DS4.

IMG_2301.png

IMG_2300.png

Out of curiosity, would the ds4 be a good option to self service? I am looking to start to self service as we have 4 divers (soon to be 5) and it gets expensive to service regs. I need to sign up for rsinglers class but was curious if this would be a good first option.

Out of curiosity, would the ds4 be a good option to self service? I am looking to start to self service as we have 4 divers (soon to be 5) and it gets expensive to service regs. I need to sign up for rsinglers class but was curious if this would be a good first option.

Absolutely, very very simple to self service.

I have manual if you decide to go down that road, DM your email address.

Happy to walk you through it.

XL4 comes in two flavours, save the Ocea design one with only engraving being the difference, the XL4, AKA DB4, standard has one hp port whilst the XL4 plus has two hp ports.

Internally is identical to a DS4 but environmental sealing end has changed, they are using a newly designed end cap and there is no longer a separate environmental diaphragm.

On the DS4 a c pin spanner was required to undo the enviro sealing cap but now a special tool is required.

There are now O rings protecting threads from contact with water on both ends of diaphragm clamp. It's a nice touch.

Still no removable crown.

Same service kit for DS4 and XL4 (DB4).

It's a slightly "better" design than the DS4 but not by much. Only real plus for me is the introduction of the second hp port on the plus version, but boy you're paying for it.

Personally if buying as first stage only, assuming DS4 is still cheaper, and if you didn't need the second hp port I'd be buying a DS4.

View attachment 785216
View attachment 785217

Am I correct that the Environmental cap is effectively also acting as the outer (sealing) diaphragm?

I have a feeling that on a non-metallic cap the "special tool" is going to have "slip-joint pliers" as the most frequent real-world alternative.

Am I correct that the Environmental cap is effectively also acting as the outer (sealing) diaphragm?

I have a feeling that on a non-metallic cap the "special tool" is going to have "slip-joint pliers" as the most frequent real-world alternative.

Yes, correct.

I have same feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom