Apeks DS4 v. Xl4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely, very very simple to self service.

I have manual if you decide to go down that road, DM your email address.

Happy to walk you through it.

Did I say very very simple?

Ill just throw in another very very very simple comment. 😃😃

I can literally rebuild any US/DS variant in about 5-10min with a C-spanner and 3 allen keys. They are sooooo simple.

When I serviced my ageing Apeks(DS4 + FSR), these are my special tools:
Two C-spanners, couple of allen keys, brass O-ring pick, Cristo Lube MCG-111, discarded chopstick(to push out or reset the ARCAP in FSR only), 19mm ring spanner(to loosen/tighten the Yoke clamp connector) and IP gauge.
Used to have a ultra sound bath but that was broken few yrs ago and never bother to replace it.

To tighten the barrel of the 2nd stage can be the most annoying procedure.

XL4 comes in two flavours, save the Ocea design one with only engraving being the difference, the XL4, AKA DB4, standard has one hp port whilst the XL4 plus has two hp ports.

Internally is identical to a DS4 but environmental sealing end has changed, they are using a newly designed end cap and there is no longer a separate environmental diaphragm.

On the DS4 a c pin spanner was required to undo the enviro sealing cap but now a special tool is required.

There are now O rings protecting threads from contact with water on both ends of diaphragm clamp. It's a nice touch.

Still no removable crown.

Same service kit for DS4 and XL4 (DB4).

It's a slightly "better" design than the DS4 but not by much. Only real plus for me is the introduction of the second hp port on the plus version, but boy you're paying for it.

Personally if buying as first stage only, assuming DS4 is still cheaper, and if you didn't need the second hp port I'd be buying a DS4.

View attachment 785216
View attachment 785217
What about the second stages that are usually sold with those two? Are they very different inside or is just a different looking?

What about the second stages that are usually sold with those two? Are they very different inside or is just a different looking?
Yes, that are basically a Flight in a different dress. Very different from an XTX or ATX or MTX.

IMG_5020.png

IMG_5019.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom