Apeks DSX dive computer: Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm browsing around dive computers and I've found there are some online stores offering pre-orders for Apeks DSX dive computers which apparently will be launched on June 2022. These stores' pages provides with roughly the same description which is not pretty extended, and aside of that, there is no information (or I haven't found it) even in Apeks web pages.

It looks interesting and I'm wondering if is there any further information?

Does this website provide more info than you've already found?
Not clear if it's still pre-order or whether it's in stock yet...

too bad the o2 sensor connection doesn't look depth rated. would have been a nice option to have it be a 4 pin/5 pin for ccr monitoring.

Yup, sadly nothing on the Apeks website yet..Looks pretty decent so far, guess transmitter will be MA8H given Aqualung owns Apeks and PPS. Can't figure out how many buttons it has as, any ideas? As hoping for more than 2...Also screen size seems a mystery.

Found also listing on SubLub.NL, at 899 Euro, however delivery date is listed as 10-09-2022....

Tempted though, price seems pretty good and I am fed up with the Shearwater Apple like monopoly and prices. Now if only it would also support DiveCan... (or some other open standard that would magically appear...well one can dream :D)

Also funny enough few US shops listing it have it at 1299 USD...so way more than in EU. But i guess they "price it up" to Shearwater. Similarly Aqualung/MH8A transmitters - EU 229 EUR (so about 230 USD), or 450 USD in US.

Another edit:
Found some mentions that it is coming with O2 analyzer:

The below says : "Supplied with an oxygen analyser (note: no oxygen cell supplied)."

Hmm from where i stand it seems whole tech diving is dominated by Shearwater. And when going CCR there are almost no alternatives, especially as more and more units are using DiveCAN (which seems proprietary, so forever stuck with one brand). Prices are rather also very "interesting".
But then of course this is only my impression, as a novice into tech/ccr world...But fair enough, perhaps "fed up" was a bit wrong choice of words, and "apple like monopoly" tad strong...perhaps dominance would be a better word.

Hmm from where i stand it seems whole tech diving is dominated by Shearwater. And when going CCR there are almost no alternatives, especially as more and more units are using DiveCAN (which seems proprietary, so forever stuck with one brand). Prices are rather also very "interesting".
But then of course this is only my impression, as a novice into tech/ccr world...But fair enough, perhaps "fed up" was a bit wrong choice of words, and "apple like monopoly" tad strong...perhaps dominance would be a better word.
IMHO the Shearwaters are competitively priced for what they offer. The fact that they're so prevalent in the TEC diving community says something about their pricing, features, and reliability. They don't have a monopoly. You can get Mares, Garmin, Suunto, and many more brands, all with most if not all of the features of Shearwater dive computers, and sometimes many more features.

I recently purchased the Perdix AI (a few months before Shearwater announced the Perdix 2), and I absolutely love it. The DSX seems to borrow heavily from the Shearwater Perdix AI, but that's how Apeks usually does things. They look at the best equipment out there, and look at ways to improve upon it while keeping the price reasonable. The DSX may well improve on the Perdix in usability, features, water resistance, but it still needs to prove itself in reliability and customer service. Shearwater will be hard to beat there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom