Apeks Flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally got my Flight towards the end of last year. When Apeks finally got the Flight to the market, they have marked it for use in temps no less than 10 degrees C (but expect the MK2 version to be cold-water rated, as they intended this one to be), and with all my diving being in the UK, I haven't had chance to get it wet.

However, had a trip to Egypt end of January and took the Flight for its first dip. Very impressed with the breathe, and it packed up nice and small for travelling. It isn't up there with my ATX200 Black Pearl or XTX200, but then Apeks never said it would. It still gives a very good breathe that is right up there with the best of the rest, though.

Mine was a very early model, and I found the primary second stage was 'creeping' a little bit. I sent it back to Apeks on my return for them to check it out - I figured it was just set too light - and this proved to be the case, plus they changed a couple of bits in the reg which were altered after the initial batch went out. Now, it all seems fine, and I am off to the Maldives for two weeks tomorrow to give it a proper thrashing in some deep channels with strong currents.

I dived the Mikron in Bali last July, and it is a nice breathe also, but I think the Flight edges it - and it is lighter, too.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I hope you had a fantastic trip. Can you let me know how well the Flight held up now that you've had more time to use it?

It is still a toss up whether to get the Flight package, or the XTX50 package... both identical pricing at Scubastore right now. I can't see myself diving 10 degrees celcius water without a drysuit.

I've been trying to find an official record of the Flight WOB, but Apeks don't have anything available. That said, from what I can gather, the WOB isn't everything when looking at the breathing experience. So even though the Flight is 0.9 WOB and the XTX50 a known 0.65 WOB, there might not be that much between them.

The only package difference is that the Flight comes already with Miflex hoses, and I will have to purchase additional for the XTX50. Which would set me back another $100.

If anyone else can compare the Flight with the XTX50 I would be stoaked.

BTW, here is the Flight WOB graph:

apeks-flight-wob-graph.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

that looks differnt to the flight WOB grapth i got from Gill Hook at Apeks 2 months ago. His showed a WOB of 0.74 j/L. ALso his graph was quite jaggard which I think may be due to the smaller diaphram not providing as smooth breathing???

PM me if you want a copy :)

Last edited:
Hi Ixchin,

The graph was sent to me by the Apeks Sales and Marketing Manager in the UK. It will be interesting to compare the two.

I am interested in the XTX50 due to it's quality and heritage. However, all comparisons to the Flight might be academic when considering that I will not be using it below 10 degrees centigrade and I doubt I will be going below 100 feet with it... if I am going to be down that far I will likely be using a gas mix of some kind and a warmer drysuit to make the most of diving at that depth... by which time I will likely have purchased an XTX model.

So, for all the breathing comparisons, the flight probably breathes great for regular sport diving uses.

Cheers,
Nick

It makes sense to me that the Flight would be 0.9 J/Litre, as the Mikron is 1.1 J/litre. The flight is a little larger than the Mikron from what I can determine.

If the flight is a great breathing reg I will likely get it. Unfortunately there is little to no information about it, other than the great comparison that MarkUK has written up... and I am eagerly waiting for his report from using it some more while on leave for two weeks!

Without trying this stuff out it is easy to get caught up in one's head.

BTW, I wish I knew how to read that graph, as I am sure there is more to it than just knowing the WOB figure. If the graph is accurate, it must convey a lot of useful information in the shape, alone.

Hope this works, have attached the flight and the xtx50 wob. You may want to send an email to gill hook and ask him what is up with the different WOBs.

You may also want to see if apeks is serviced in your area. Back in perth australia, only 1 shop stocks apeks.

When comparing the xtx50 octo to the primary xtx200, i really could not tell any difference at all.

Attachments

• xtx50wob.jpg
    xtx50wob.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 56
  • flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 57
Hi Nick,

Well, sat here enjoying a cold beer in the Maldives and got internet, so thought I'd give you an update. I am land-based now, but had a cracking week on the liveaboard and did some stunning channel dives, which basically involved dropping in negative, heading for the bottom at 30m or so and then hooking into the dead hard coral in a screaming current while waiting for the mantas and sharks to 'fly by'.

The Flight performed admirably. Never struggled for a breath, it wasn't wet in any position in the current, and while not my ATX200/XTX200, it is still a very smooth breathe. The conditions I was diving in were pretty extreme and the Flight never faltered - currently doing more 'fluffy' dives land-based and it is great even upside down.

Like I said previously, I was impressed with the Mikron, but I think the Flight has it beat on performance. Plus, most of the instructors out here wanted it!

All down to personal preference, but for a super lightweight travel reg that breathes well, the Flight is awesome. Get a Miflex low-pressure inflator hose for your BCD, a Miflex hi-pressure hose for your gauge as I have and you have a great travel set up.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Mark

PS: lxchin, Gill is a woman, not a man - she admirably sorts out my regs when I send them back in all manner of states!

Awesome, Mark. It sounds like you've had a fantastic time.

Thanks for taking the time to check and respond while still on leave.

Okay, my preference is leaning toward better breathing rather than size. The XTX200 2nd stage is reported to be 260 grams in weight, while the Flight 2nd stage is 140 grams. I would assume that the XTX50 is a little lighter than the XTX200 2nd stage. And, that is their out-of-water weight. So, in the water the differences is likely even less noticeable.

I guess, Mark, would it be fair to say that the Flight is smooth and dry in any position, but you notice a little more drag to pull the air out (the cracking pressure is somewhat greater)? Would you say, however, that the Flight's effort is only noticed when you swap to the XTX200?

The Flight cracking pressure can be changed with a tool. Do you know if your Flight is set to a minimum cracking effort? As I understand it, the term 'cracking' refers to the pressure required to 'pop' the diaphragm from being closed to being open and allowing air to flow. Would that be a fair definition?

Can the cracking valve be set to minimum and any unwanted free-flow controlled with the venturi control?

I know this is all somewhat academic, especially to someone who is reclining in a nice deckchair with a cooler in hand!

Ixchin, thanks for posting those graphs. I will send an email to Apeks, to both Gill Hook and Tony Gallagher.

I would assume that the reason why you cannot tell any difference between the XTX200 2nd stage and the XTX50 2nd stage is due to both 2nd stages running off the same 1st stage. According to many, the XTX 2nd stage is identical to the XTX50, apart from a feature or two.

I would assume that the reason why you cannot tell any difference between the XTX200 2nd stage and the XTX50 2nd stage is due to both 2nd stages running off the same 1st stage. According to many, the XTX 2nd stage is identical to the XTX50, apart from a feature or two.

Apart from the external cosmetic variations, the XTX 50, 100 & 200 2nd stages are the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom