Apeks Regs Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phish-phood

Reaction score
Okay if this has been covered before just point me in the direction as I can't seem to find anything to answer my question :(

Basically I am buying my regs quite soon and I have pretty much decided on Apeks regs for a couple of reasons the main one being they are cold water regs and most of my diving is UK diving so they need to be.

My question is this:

ATX vs TX 40s and 50s?

From what I can gather the major difference between them is size. So what are the advantages of larger regs over smaller regs or vice-versa. I have used both large and small regs and am happy with either although I do find the larger ones slightly more cumbersome at times.

Also all I can seem to come up with is that the 50's are simply an updated version of the 40's. If this is the case is it worth spending the extra on the 50's considering I am only going to be doing recreational diving and everyone I have spoken to has said they are quite happy with their 40's.

I am also planning on going with the non-swivel turret on the first stage as the rig I have now has a swivel and I hate it. Is this a good idea or not?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Phish-phood once bubbled...
Okay if this has been covered before just point me in the direction as I can't seem to find anything to answer my question :(

Basically I am buying my regs quite soon and I have pretty much decided on Apeks regs for a couple of reasons the main one being they are cold water regs and most of my diving is UK diving so they need to be.

My question is this:

ATX vs TX 40s and 50s?

From what I can gather the major difference between them is size. So what are the advantages of larger regs over smaller regs or vice-versa. I have used both large and small regs and am happy with either although I do find the larger ones slightly more cumbersome at times.

Also all I can seem to come up with is that the 50's are simply an updated version of the 40's. If this is the case is it worth spending the extra on the 50's considering I am only going to be doing recreational diving and everyone I have spoken to has said they are quite happy with their 40's.

I am also planning on going with the non-swivel turret on the first stage as the rig I have now has a swivel and I hate it. Is this a good idea or not?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

You can look here for more information: http://www.apeks.co.uk but the differences are minimal.

The 50's are basically the same as the 40;s but they have an external cracking adjuster. That can sometimes be handy in currents if it's flowing hard enough to cause your reg a freeflow a bit.

R..

R..

ATX v TX
Not much difference. The size/weight might make the ATX a little more comfortable. The TX has a much larger exhaust T, a few people have complained that the ATX puts bubble where you don't want them. There are some good deals on TX models at the moment.

40 v 50
Very similar. The 50 has a knob to adjust the breathing resistance, the 40 has an allen screw to do the same job. As you rarely adjust the breathing resitance under water there isn't much advantage. You could detune your octo/back-up to reduce the chance of freeflow then readjust it if you need to use it.

No swivel turret... good choice.

Good choice of reg for UK diving by the way :)

Nick

Thanks guys.

It's pretty much what I thought actually but it helps to have my theories confirmed by others besides the people who are going to be selling them to me.

There is a fairly hefty (poor student here) price difference between them and I felt that it might have been a little more cosmetic than actual functional differences. And Go-Dive in Derby is doing a good price on them at the moment which I think is fairly close to what Dive Show prices would be.

Going with the 40's then. Will give both TX and ATX another run in the pool and make a final decision on that but TX looks promising.

Nick, I hate a swivel Turret, they drive me insane and I don't much see the point of them if you configure your kit the way you want in the first place.

I've just got a quote for my buddy from St Andrews in Malta.

LM115 for ATX40 (inc ATX40 octo)
LM130 fot TX40 (inc TX40 octo)

postage free to UK.

Well under £200

pretty tempting.

Hmm sounds good. Derby are doing a reasonably good deal as I said, definitley better than most UK shops at the moment.

Do St Andrews have an online shop? Can't hurt to keep my options open.

Thanks a lot Nick, I have a few spare minutes after chewing my LDS out over my drysuit (been waiting ten weeks and going on hols on Sat) so doing some price comparisons.

Diverswarehouse have some good packages available but I think I can do it cheaper than what they are offering.

I have a TX40 primary and a TX40 backup. If I did it again, I'd get an ATX40 backup just so it takes up less room under my neck.

Phish-phood once bubbled...

I hate a swivel Turret, they drive me insane and I don't much see the point of them if you configure your kit the way you want in the first place.

And they are one more thing that can break.

Back
Top Bottom