Apeks Tek 3 Cold / Deep Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abbottd2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a good setup for cold water tech diving ( great lakes / quarries at 150 feet ). I am really narrowing in on the Tek 3 system from Apeks. I want something that will work for any type of tech diving I do (for my doubles) and that will last.

Tek 3 Regulator Set

Can you please comment on these 1st stages and 2nd stages?
Anyone have them in really deep / really cold water (150 foot near freezing)?
How do you like the "hose down" direction for the LP and HP hoses?

Any and all information would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

121 people viewed and no one replied.... I hope someone uses these things?

LOL

While I do not own a set, I dive with someone who uses them. They are nice for hose routing and will preform fine in the range you listed.

My husband dives these regs in the Great Lakes. He's had them for about two years. They've been beyond 200' in 39 degree water and have performed wonderfully. He also likes the hose routing because it points everything down out of the way with no odd kinks or bends.

My husband dives these regs in the Great Lakes. He's had them for about two years. They've been beyond 200' in 39 degree water and have performed wonderfully. He also likes the hose routing because it points everything down out of the way with no odd kinks or bends.

Seems to me that there is a hard bend on the inflator hose from the right post to the left side inflator hose. Also seems to be a nice tight bend on the secondary 2nd stage off the left post around the right side of the neck.

Anyway, that's the reason I changed those hoses to miflex. If I was buying Apeks reg's for doubles today, & I wanted the best hose routing, I'd go for the new 5th port DST.

I have a friend who uses then and has had them deep and cold. He LOVES them. I think he takes them to bed with him. He has since put them on his Sport KISS.

I use them. They do work well in the conditions asked about. I've used them on the Empress of Ireland. As noted there is a hard bend required for some of the hoses. The new fitting that puts a port on the end of the DS4 might be a better option for you.

However Apeks regs should come with a big buyer beware sign. If you plan to get them serviced at a LDS find out what the retail price for the service kits will be before you buy. That may change your mind about these regs.

I've been diving the Tek-3 system for over a year now and I love it. Yes it's pricy and yes you are more limited if you want a single tank set up but they are a great set of regs. I dive in the Great Lakes primarily in Ontario where the water is deep, dark and cold. I also take them ice diving now and again.

I've never had a single issue with them and cold water and/or depth. They breathe wonderfully.

I actually replaced the primary XTX 50 with an XTX 200. I use the yoke first stage that came with the 200 as my single tank setup (although it is seldom used). To be honest the 200 and the 50 breathe pretty much the same. I moved the extra XTX 50 to my deco bottle. It's a heck of a lot nicer than the old OMS I had there.

As for hose routing, you can't beat the Tek-3. 2 Weeks ago a couple of my buddies and I were sitting on an upper deck of the dive boat looking down at the gear stowed below. All the doubles looked "messy" with their hoses jutting this way and that. My gear, however, was nicely streamlined with only the sun glinting off the chrome finish on my first stages. For a guy who's nuts about streamlined gear they are the perfect first stage.

Good luck with whatever you choose but I can personally highly recommend the Tek-3 setup!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom