Apeks vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRK44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Need to get myself some new regs full set.
Do I shell out more on the Apeks MTXR (extreme cold water) or Aqualung Helix Pro?
I don't want to go cheap on safety critical equipment, but that said I don't want to pay an extra £300 for a badge.

I really like Apeks for cold water diving, mine are DST's. I dive in Canada and have never a had freeze-up or free-flow.

Just a note, Aqualung owns Apeks.

Xtx50 will.work or the cold water version of the helix.

I have both Aqualung and Apeks but primarily use my Apeks now. I use the DST/XTX50 not many will need the extreme cold version.

i've used my XTX50/DST at scapa and it was fine. unless if you see yourself moving to trondheim/narvik/iceland, I don't see the need to spend the extra amount on the MTX-RC

The Helix Pro doesn't seem to be cold water rated. At least, the Aqualung website doesn't list it as a feature (which brands normally do if the product has a certain rating).

Only the Legend page explicitly shows the cold water rating. That's a great regulator, but not cheap.

My experience with the Apeks MTXR was that it was like breathing through a thin straw. YMMV but it's not worth the money unless you're moving to the South Pole.

i've used my XTX50/DST at scapa and it was fine. unless if you see yourself moving to trondheim/narvik/iceland, I don't see the need to spend the extra amount on the MTX-
XTX-50/DST works fine even in Trondheim and Narvik.
I have a bunch different apekses from the 50 and up. No need to shell out with more than for the 50. Ido most of my diving in Norway. Water ranging from -2 and up. But I would go with Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom