Apeks vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tridacna the MTX-RC version has the adjustment knob and between tuning and the knob, gets close to the same characteristics as the XTX series. the MTX-R does not have the knob and is tuned very stiff for commercial/military purposes.

@tridacna the MTX-RC version has the adjustment knob and between tuning and the knob, gets close to the same characteristics as the XTX series. the MTX-R does not have the knob and is tuned very stiff for commercial/military purposes.
You're right! That's the one I had. My bad.

Apeks MTXR (extreme cold water)
It's essentially a slightly de-tuned XTX with different looks and a few more heat exchange fins that may or may not ever make any difference. I have the MTX-R and have been diving it for 150 or so dives and like it fine, but I don't think there's a real reason to recommend it over the more common XTX series regulators. Unless you think it's cool and happen to get a very good deal on it, as was my situation at the time. :)

(Though I realize I'm not particularly picky about how a regulator breathes. I can switch between the MTX-R, the Poseidon Xstream, and a Scubapro S600, and my verdict is they all breathe "fine" and I don't care too much for one over the other. 🤷‍♂️)

AL Legend is my go-to cold water reg. It’s exceptional. I’ve done many, many dives between mid-30s and mid-40s F with my Legend LXs. Never a hint of a free flow. I preferred them to my Apeks ATX200 which I’ve gotten rid of. All I dive are AL regs these days. Legend LX, Leg3nd Elite, and Mikron.

The Helix Pro is the cold water version of the Helix. It is akin to the cold water "Supreme" versions of the regulators it replaced (Core/Core Supreme, Titan/Titan Supreme).

The Helix/Helix Pro are just rebadged Core/Core Supreme regulators. If you can find a Core Supreme set, you can save some money. Other than the model name, just about everything else is identical to the Core models.

-Z

Need to get myself some new regs full set.
Do I shell out more on the Apeks MTXR (extreme cold water) or Aqualung Helix Pro?
I don't want to go cheap on safety critical equipment, but that said I don't want to pay an extra £300 for a badge.
Being in the U.K. has it’s advantages, one being regs must be marked as cold or warm water certified. After that it’s personal preference, mine is Shearwood - air balanced.

Being in the U.K. has it’s advantages, one being regs must be marked as cold or warm water certified. After that it’s personal preference, mine is Shearwood - air balanced.

Voila, the EU certificate of conformity for the Aqualung Helix/Helix Pro (see attached). It includes documentation of metting the CE 250:2014 standards for water temperatures below 10°c.

-Z

Attachments

• EU DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY - HELIX REGULATOR.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 73
Choice between Apeks and Aqua Lung regulators; Apeks without even a second thought.

Why?

I’ve found my AL Legends out perform, are more reliable & require less frequent service than the Apeks I’ve owned. That’s after years of diving both AL Legends & Apeks ATX200.

Why?

I’ve found my AL Legends out perform, are more reliable & require less frequent service than the Apeks I’ve owned. That’s after years of diving both AL Legends & Apeks ATX200.

My experience and the experience of the instructors and people around me is 100% opposite of your experience. This isn't to say that there is anything wrong with AL at all. In fact, AL regulators will be 5th place after SP, Atomic, Zeagle and Apeks for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom