Apeks Vs Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ragnar,

I might be flying there for a couple of weeks around the beginning of Oct. I'm still waiting on the details of the job. I'll ping you before I get there.

-Mitch

Cool man. @ the OP, the other thing you need to check into is what is available in your area and at what price. Apeks pricing is VERY different depending on where you buy them, and unfortunately DiveInn will no longer ship to SE Asia. Maybe wherever you are other times will work but probably not Singapore.

You really need to determine what kind of diving is in your future. Poseidons are very high to extreme performance regulators. Most of the very deep diving records were with them. The new Xtremes are depth rated to 200 msw! That being said, Poseidon, the company, has had a bad habit of treating the US market as the ugly step child, changing representation in the states every four or five years and in the interim there would be no US corporate backup here.

I have had to switch to the Cyklons on my rebreather bailouts as a run away Xtreme could empty a small supply bottle very fast indeed.

Most Poseidons, especially the Odin / Jetstream and Xtreme are not real impressive breathing regulator second stages shallow above 20 msw. They seem to really get into their own below 20 msw or so.

Some more info on the Xtreme New Poseidon Xtreme

Dale

You really need to determine what kind of diving is in your future. Poseidons are very high to extreme performance regulators. Most of the very deep diving records were with them. The new Xtremes are depth rated to 200 msw! That being said, Poseidon, the company, has had a bad habit of treating the US market as the ugly step child, changing representation in the states every four or five years and in the interim there would be no US corporate backup here.

I have had to switch to the Cyklons on my rebreather bailouts as a run away Xtreme could empty a small supply bottle very fast indeed.

Most Poseidons, especially the Odin / Jetstream and Xtreme are not real impressive breathing regulator second stages shallow above 20 msw. They seem to really get into their own below 20 msw or so.

Some more info on the Xtreme New Poseidon Xtreme

Dale

Currently I'm adv nitrox only. I won't do any deep dive, max 30-40m for the time being.
It seems like I will have more headache maintaining Poseidon than Apeks in my region.

-Andy

Sounds like a good decision. If or when you need something else you will know. They are awesome regs. The one great thing about them is the side exhaust and no right side, wrong side. On the breather I have regs over my left shoulder.

Safe Diving

Dale

One 'feature' about Poseidons I don't like (Have several Jetstreams) is they will free flow at low tank pressures ( 300 psi approx) due to their 2nd-stage design...rather annoying!

Sounds like a good decision. If or when you need something else you will know. They are awesome regs. The one great thing about them is the side exhaust and no right side, wrong side. On the breather I have regs over my left shoulder.

Safe Diving

Dale

The XTX Apeks can be flipped around from right handed to left handed in about 10 minutes on the bench. Maybe less if you aren't being careful.

I agree that the Apeks is the better choice. A poseidon is a good reg when its working right. Unfortunately, most shops don't know how to work on them.

Actually if they are set up according to standards, one of the checks is at 300 psi. When they get close to IP they most certainly will start to free flow with insufficient back pressure (IP) to shut the servo valve. Why are you diving with such low tank pressure?

Dale

I sell & dive both Apeks and Poseidon, plus the Halcypro-Scubacyons :wink: I also teach back to back entry level tech classes, so I am configuring (fighting) with reg set ups all the time when new divers try to transition to tec.

First off - the upstream failing & cutting off air on Poseidons is nonsense. Even if it were true, you would just switch to your backup just the same as you would with a regular freeflowing downstream design that failed.

Regarding parts & servicing. There is some truth to it. However, nothing to stop you shipping the regs back to Jerry at poseidon USA and asking him to service them :) Or to me at Silent World.

All modern high end regs breathe great for long periods of time, so unless you have testing equipment built into your lungs, you wont really notice the difference straight out of the box. For me, its all about hose routing and I often find myself having this debate with owners of sub optimal hose routing regs (especialy for doubles). For single tanks - no issue. For doubles there is NO DOUBT that some 1st stages are better than others.

Apeks unfortunately does not have any really good solutions for doubles routing. The Tek 3's are a start, but if you configure your regs properly, you cant get around having to put a bend in the secondary reg hose from the left post and a bend in the inflator hose from the right post. Same thing with the Poseidon first stages. The DS4 is the worst, made slightly better by the turret on the DST

The best routing goes to Scubacyon -Halcypro with the MK25/H-75P. Its so slick anything else is just annoying. For singles, it doesnt matter what you get, they are all great regs. Dont discount Atomic or AquaLung either

Thanks everyone for your input. This is certainly NOT my posting, but I was debating the same question and glad the OP asked it.

Not to highjack the thread, but what about Apex vs Hog?

Thanks

USVet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom