Apeks Vs Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy_W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking a set of regulator for my twin setup. I end up with Apeks DS4/XTX50 or Poseidon Jetstream. I know price difference is quite a lot. But other than that, in your frank opinion is Poseidon worth considering?

Thank you

Andy

It depends. The major difference is in the way that the design of each regulator handles failure. There are a lot of threads on SB that detail the risks, but it's a personal choice based on the theoretical ways that the reg could quit on you and how you'd prefer it to react.

One thing you'll want to think about is what level of training you want to pursue eventually as I don't believe that GUE is very fond of Poseidon regs.

My opinion is that Poseidon regs are rock solid and the risk for failure of a downstream design is sufficiently low to merit their use in technical diving. Others disagree.

Poseiden regs are not complicated, but they are different and service is less available compared to Apeks, Scubapro, etc. More importantly, a GOOD poseiden tech who actually knows what he or she is doing and can properly adjust the regs are rare.

I have the DS4's and they are great. I'am not a fan of Poseidon. You should also look at the Apeks Tek3 and Scubapro's MK17, they are awesome!!!

Servicing is a lot harder to find for the Poseidon and with the downstream design there is a chance of it failing and your air getting cut off.

When it fails the OPV will 'pop' and release small bursts of air intermittently, but gas will still be delivered to the second stage allowing the diver to breathe normally.
This will happen rather than free flow through the second stage.

This happened once to my wife, it was hardly a big deal. Easier than breathing through a free flowing regulator.

This is the only "failure" I've ever observed on a Poseidon, so I can't speak to them actually failing closed and not delivering air.

As I understand it a Poseidon will deliver air as I described above vs. other regulators that will freeflow instead. Either one of these situations are manageable.
I've owned different regulators and currently have some Poseidons, my wife has 5 poseidons (that's all she'll dive). I think some of the perceptions of Poseidon regulators might be a bit wrong on the forums.

I travel and move a lot based on my line of work. I only have to worry about mailing my Poseidons in every two years for service. I send them to Tim at Viking Diving in pensacola, FL.
Scuba Toys, Dive Right In Scuba, and Tech Diving Limited in AZ are some others that come to mind that know how to do a great job servicing poseidon regs.

-Mitch

I have been diving Poseidon since 1979, and have *NEVER* had any issues finding service. Perhaps Goober and Jughead down at the corner dive shop may glaze over when presented with one, but there are plenty of good shops (including ScubaToys) that service Poseidon and for the same price as all others.

- Tim

I love the old Cyclon 300, but I don't care for the newer Poseidons. Frankly I think you should be choosing between Apeks and Hog (and I'd go Hog).

Dived on the same two DS-4 for over 12yrs(rec/tek). No problem whatsoever. Service them regularly myself.

Back
Top Bottom