Apeks XTX200 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KomdoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I will be buying a new regulator before my next diving trip. I want to buy a quality regulator which will last for a few years.
I have made up my mind that I am going to buy an Apeks reg as they are completely manufacturer in the UK and I would like to support a UK Company. Also they are quality regulators. I will mainly be diving in warmer waters. I am over spec'ing by buying a XTX200.

What is your plan longer term? Will you go doubles at some point? The 2nd stage of the 200 is the same as the 50 and 100, except it's been prettied up. The 1st stages are different between the 3 regs and some lean towards one application better than the other.

My experience with Apeks regulators has been excellent. As a matter of personal preference, I currently prefer the XTX50 with the 5th port adapter over the XTX200 due to its better long hose routing.

What is your plan longer term? Will you go doubles at some point? The 2nd stage of the 200 is the same as the 50 and 100, except it's been prettied up. The 1st stages are different between the 3 regs and some lean towards one application better than the other.

Can you explain the differences between the 1st stages of the 3 regs. Feedback appreciated.

The 200 is a superior breathe to the 50. Not by much, but enough to notice.

I bought my pair because at the time I bought them, 2007, they were the top flight regulator on the market. Now maybe they are in the top 5 as other companies have upped their game. However overall I still believe APEKS maintain the best group of regs. I've dived them mainly in warm waters and only in the last few years have I bought them back to dive in the UK.

No they are not overkill for warm waters, they are a fantastic reg. They work day in day out and the most maintenance I've had to do on them is replace the mouthpieces. I've serviced infrequently in that time period.

As for doubles routing. Yes they are not ideal, some route better, but we are only talking here about mild benefits of hose routing. I have no issue with using my 200's for doubles, this was what I actually intended them for. They point all the hoses (bar the HP) straight down, when the 1st stages are level) so there is a touch more stress on the hoses. However this is something easily overcome by period inspection. For that cost, I am happy to have a better breathe on my doubles.

I'm not sure about the 2nd stage of the XTX100 but the XTX50 only has one adjustment while the XTX200 has two. There are likely other differences. That being said I love my XTX50.

You'll never be unhappy when you bought a product that you are happy with and don't have to replace. APEKS fit that bill. That being said there seems to bbe some issues with the APEKS flight and note that the lowest line of APEKS octo is not rated for cold water. I've had dive shop people tell me it is but the info on their site will tell you different. I believe the octo I am talking about is the Egress if I remember correctly. Just spend a little more money and get a better octo than the Egress and stay away from the flight.

I'm not sure about the 2nd stage of the XTX100 but the XTX50 only has one adjustment while the XTX200 has two. There are likely other differences. That being said I love my XTX50.

Hmm, my XTX50 (2nd stage) has TWO adjustments; Venturi (dive/pre-dive), and Breathe Control. Also, 4 LP and 2 HP port. It's a newer one, if that matters ??

The standard shape Apeks 2nd stages are all balanced and have a venturi adjustment and perform identically.
40 adds slip on heat sink.
50, 100 and 200 adds cracking effort adjustment knob.

They have 3 basic 1st stages styles.

The US1, DS1, US4, DS4, UST and DST.
The FST.
The FSR.

The main difference between the 1st stages is the number and position of the hose ports and with or without enviro seal.
The FST and FSR have a slightly higher flow rate than the others.

........all excellent regulators and amongst the most reliable ever made.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom