Apo or Moalboal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krazymad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a rookie diver, will be spending this week at Alona Beach to get OW certified. After I get my OW and do some diving at Alona Beach, I'll have another 5 days in the Philippines and wanted to travel to another dive area. I was going to do Moalboal for the school of fishes, but read that besides Pescador, there isn't much to see in Moalboal.

How does Apo compared to Moalboal?
Which area is better for a beginner, Apo or Moalboal?

Dear Krazy,
There is enough to see in Moalboal to keep any new diver happy. You can see tons of turtles, plenty of small stuff if you get a good guide, and nice variety of corals and many different species of fishes(although not in huge quantities). If you think you will be coming back to the Phils and in Particular the Visayas, I would choose Moalboal and then do Dauin/APO next time. If however, you are never planning on returning for another dive trip, and you really want to see APO I would go to Dauin and make sure I spent 2 days diving APO Island.

I have been to APO several times and really enjoy it, but staying on the island is not for everyone... you can search on APO on this site and find many different opinions..... feel free to PM or email me for any specific questions you might have.. Rogerdives at gee male dot commmmm

Cheers
Roger

Not been to Moalboal, but spent 2 weeks on Apo Island last year. Very nice pristine diving. Apo Island is rustic, limited electricity and running water, but worth it for the diving. Not much else to do there. Then went to Dauin for 2 weeks, but left after 5-6 days. After Apo Island, just didn't seem that great. Went to Bohol, and that was much better than Dauin. Just my opinion, of course.

krazymad,

Both Apo and Moalboal are great places for you to head fresh from your OW and I would say are fairly safe dive destinations for you, at least when I've been to the locations there were no unexpected currents or anything, so for a rookie, you'd enjoy both - but make sure your DM knows your new to the game.

MoalBoal - varied, mostly wall diving, lots of life, fair chance of seeing Thresher sharks and maybe a Whale shark - my trip report here, nice laid back place to relax after diving.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...alboal-december-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html

Apo - a great little island, surrounded by wonderful diving, though if I was you I'd go MoalBoal - then next visit stay in Dumaguette and from there you can get to Dauin/Apo/Sigjour - all of which are varied and worth spending a day or two at.

If you look back through forum you'll also find a "Mactan" dive report from me early December, the diving there surprised me and we managed a MoalBoal/Mactan holiday with a few days in each without problem, so maybe that's another option.

Whichever you chose, best of luck with your OW and enjoy the diving.

Cheers

Dear Krazy,
There is enough to see in Moalboal to keep any new diver happy. You can see tons of turtles, plenty of small stuff if you get a good guide, and nice variety of corals and many different species of fishes(although not in huge quantities). If you think you will be coming back to the Phils and in Particular the Visayas, I would choose Moalboal and then do Dauin/APO next time. If however, you are never planning on returning for another dive trip, and you really want to see APO I would go to Dauin and make sure I spent 2 days diving APO Island.

I have been to APO several times and really enjoy it, but staying on the island is not for everyone... you can search on APO on this site and find many different opinions..... feel free to PM or email me for any specific questions you might have.. Rogerdives at gee male dot commmmm

Cheers
Roger

Krazy, I have to agree with Roger.....

I spent 3 weeks around Moalboal - Apo Island - Dauin and to be honest I preferred the diving in Moalboal.

Moalboal:ranging from whale shark, tresher sharks, turtles to orangutan crab (muck diving).
Apo Island: mostly corals, turtles, school of Jacks but not big fish at all.....
Dauin: mostly muck diving and barracudas......

Moalboal covers almost everything.... Apo and Dauin are close to each

If you go to Apo, don't stay on the island itself as they only have electricity from 6 to 11pm and no running water (I made that mistake).... I would recommend to stay in Dauin and have daytrips to Apo as Apo is only 45 min boat from Dauin.....

I went to Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines and it was perfect..... seriously.. great DM, great dive center and rooms, but mostly great food ;-)

If you have more questions, do not hesitate....

Cheers

bgfpeedy

Hi,

This is great information here and answers many of my questions I had . Great photos, compliments ! Still have of few questions. I have never been to the Philippines, been to HKG for work a few times ages ago and can't remember much about climate.
Is February a good time to go, planning 1 week ?
I fancy the Dumaguete area. Flying into Cebu from FRA, I read there is a fast ferry , is that a good way to get there and what is the timing ?

Many thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your great replies and info! I have 1 more day in Alona Beach and have decided to make my way over to Moalboal (Nelson's and staying at Eve's).

Thanks to everyone for your great replies and info! I have 1 more day in Alona Beach and have decided to make my way over to Moalboal (Nelson's and staying at Eve's).

We are also going to stay at Eve's and dive with Nelson in May. The locals get priority.

Hi,

This is great information here and answers many of my questions I had . Great photos, compliments ! Still have of few questions. I have never been to the Philippines, been to HKG for work a few times ages ago and can't remember much about climate.
Is February a good time to go, planning 1 week ?
I fancy the Dumaguete area. Flying into Cebu from FRA, I read there is a fast ferry , is that a good way to get there and what is the timing ?

Many thanks.

schedule.ph has ferry time table.
Ocean jet has fast craft from Cebu to Dumaguette.

@Centrals
Thank you. Travel warnings from Germany to Egypt have been lifted now and I will be returning to the Red Sea. El Quseir or Hamata. All the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom