Apollo Bio-Tank Lock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cary99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have experience with the new Bio-Tank lock?

It looks like a better, easier system for securing a tank. I was sold by the concept, so I just ordered one on the Web. Now I'm wondering if I got "sold." Before I mount the thing on my BCD, I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Thanks.

Its just a strap

I've referred to it in the past as "a tax on the gullible..." but I'm pretty sure that's not what you want to hear right now.

I had one, and would never get it again. I liked it while it worked, then when the screw broke, and all apollo had to say was you must have over tightened it. Thay said I could order parts for it, but they would not replace. If you tighten it to the point where the tank no longer slips, and that is too tight for the lock, there is something wrong.

cary99:
Does anyone have experience with the new Bio-Tank lock?
It will be a good conversation starter on dive boats :wink:

I've seen a few. They worked as advertised. Contrary to some peoples' impressions, it doesn't need air pressure to stay locked -- it rachets into place.

The general opinion, though, is that it's an unecessary complication unless you and your buddy have some sort of disability that keeps you from being able to use a regular manual camlock band.

Edit ........
OOOPS: the above comments are about the Mares Airlock Automatic Locking Tank Band, which uses air from LP hose to cinch up the tank. wrong product.

The only complaint I have about mine is that after about 20 dives, and rinsing after, it starts getting stuck. I've had to pry it open a few times just to get the tank off.

Tanked2.0:
The only complaint I have about mine is that after about 20 dives, and rinsing after, it starts getting stuck. I've had to pry it open a few times just to get the tank off.

If you will just leave about 1/4" /2-3 cm gap so that the buckles do not touch you will still have 10X the closing power of the standard cam strap and no tank slip or drop. We try to make this clear in the instructions. The buckle should have just a small gap w/o touching. The bio-tank lock works fine. We have sold thousands and we get lots of good comments weekly. We do and will offer replacement parts at our cost when we have non warranty issues.

mdb:
If you will just leave about 1/4" /2-3 cm gap so that the buckles do not touch you will still have 10X the closing power of the standard cam strap and no tank slip or drop.
MJB, I am confused. I am not trying to slam your product, or anything like that. I was just confused by your "instruction" in your post.

What dimension do you mean to say there?
=> 1/4 inch is about 6.35mm
=> 2 - 3 cm is 20 - 30 mm
Which is it supposed to be?

Just curious,

Wristshot

BTW, your comment doesn't actually address the comment you quoted. Tanked2.0 mentioned difficulty releasing, and you described how tight it locks, with no mention of releasing. Just pointing it out to you.

Wristshot:
MJB, I am confused. I am not trying to slam your product, or anything like that. I was just confused by your "instruction" in your post.

What dimension do you mean to say there?
=> 1/4 inch is about 6.35mm
=> 2 - 3 cm is 20 - 30 mm
Which is it supposed to be?

Just curious,

Wristshot

BTW, your comment doesn't actually address the comment you quoted. Tanked2.0 mentioned difficulty releasing, and you described how tight it locks, with no mention of releasing. Just pointing it out to you.

Wristshot: Thank you for the heads up. 1/4"/6.35mm is the correct number. When properly set the tank lock will release w/o a problem. We take the comments on this board very seriously. Today we sent all the comments to Apollo Japan for their review. If our instructions are not clear enough we want to correct it ASAP. This is Apollo Sports 40th year designing innovative SCUBA gear. We are often copied. We continue to use the best materials and work on improving all of our products. Your comments, as well as others on this board are worthwhile. We will be diving this weekend with tank locks, the AV-2 scooters, and the bio-fin pro yellow w/ss straps,
we will keep an extra eye on the tank locks.

Dive magazine reviewed it and i agree- its an expensive solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom