Appropriate???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
During a recent group boat dive, the DM leading our group brought a spear gun to hunt Lion Fish during the dive. The majority of the eight (?) divers were experienced, but there was at least one young lady who had just completed her OW cert at the resort. In addition to the spear gun, the DM was also handling the reel and line for the dive float/flag.

My first question is whether it is appropriate for a DM to be hunting while leading a group, not matter what the level of divers' competency. I realize that Lion Fish pose a growing problem and should be culled if not eradicated in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure that this should be done while leading a dive. Unless it's a hunting party! :)

The second question: was he over tasked? It seems to me that a DM needs to devote his attention to the divers he is leading, and even handling the float can be a (minor) distraction. Add on the active seeking out and spearing of fish along the way, and I'd think that there was far too little attention being paid to the group at times.

Seems wrong to me, but maybe I'm being to critical.

I guess it would depend on what you NEED from a DM. The MX laws require a DM be on all the dives in the park. Thier typical role is to point out any cool critters that might get missed, and counts heads back on the boat. Personally, all I NEED from a DM if to explain whats below the boat, and then let me dive my own dive. I don't like or need a babysitter.

As for the "new" diver, if they feel like they need personal supervision, then they should hire a personal DM.

I totally agree with fire diver. I do not view the dive guide (DM or not) as a babysitter. If you are not capable of making the dive, don't do it -- don't overface yourself with the idea that some random guy employed by a shop is going to bail you out if you fail to monitor your gas or can't control your buoyancy.

Whether a given guide is capable of managing navigation, a dive float and a speargun is an entirely different question. Our guides in Coz didn't drag floats -- they shot a bag at the end of the dive instead. Therefore, they would have had their hands free to hunt lionfish during the majority of the dive.

As stated above, I have no problem with the DM not being a nanny on any dive, unless they are hired for exactly that reason.

As to whether he/she was over tasked, I can't answer that as I don't know the DM, but I would suspect from what I have observed in the Caribbean, they are pretty solid divers. Prolly could have read a book while dragging the float, shooting fish, and still managed to not get lost and keep an eye on everyone else as well.

I like the DM's here. Go down, tie the boat into the wreck, come up and stay out of the way. No one in the water unless something goes wrong. That's what I feel DM's should be. They give briefing on the way out of what's down there and what to look out for, but aren't babysitters. In the tropics I understand the concept of guides, especially on the reefs, but they shouldn't have to babysit you. If you aren't capable of being an independent buddy, you have no business diving... Obviously that will never happen again, but that's my thoughts

Hmmm...so far all the replies have come from very experienced divers....

As a rookie myself, I'd prefer that a divemaster leading the group I'm in pays all his attention to leading the group. OTOH, if it's laid out in the pre-dive planning [or in the initial arranging for the dive] that the DM would be doing other things, I guess I wouldn't mind too much. Lots of variables in the situation...

Hmmm...so far all the replies have come from very experienced divers....

As a rookie myself, I'd prefer that a divemaster leading the group I'm in pays all his attention to leading the group. OTOH, if it's laid out in the pre-dive planning [or in the initial arranging for the dive] that the DM would be doing other things, I guess I wouldn't mind too much. Lots of variables in the situation...

I am not trying to be confrontational or start another derailed thread, however if you have an OW card from a recognized agency, you paid for training to make you capable of diving without supervision.

Please do not expect the DMs to be there specifically to watch over you and keep you safe, that is not what they are doing. If you feel you still need professional supervision, hire a DM to dive with just you and your buddy.

I totally agree with fire diver. I do not view the dive guide (DM or not) as a babysitter. If you are not capable of making the dive, don't do it.

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather my buddy and I be left to do our own dive, but circumstances (this was a resort dive) sometimes dictate that a guide is imposed even on the most experienced groups of divers.

My primary issue was whether or not killing lionfish is appropriate for a guide. Having now read the thread cited by merxlin, it's obvious that this is becoming increasingly frequent, although the jury is still out on its appropriateness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom