Appropriate???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do not expect the DMs to be there specifically to watch over you and keep you safe, that is not what they are doing. If you feel you still need professional supervision, hire a DM to dive with just you and your buddy.

In general I would agree with you seaducer, but the dive in question was at a resort where "resort certifications" and new PADI certifications abound. Part of the sales pitch is safe diving under the watchful eye of experienced DM's. Thus my second issue of the guide multi-tasking with at least one newbie in the group. As a lot of new/occasional divers do use resorts of this nature, I don't think they should be excluded from consideration.

Just came back from Blackbeard cruises and except one night dive which was done at a brand new place, the operator did just that...tie to boat to the mooring and then let the divers go about their business. It is very easy to do when there is no current. Coz is a different ball game. Nowhere to tie and if you did you would end up with a bunch of divers spread about the coast line as there is current, very strong at time to the point you can hardly swim against it and ...

Therefore the way the DM operates there has to do with the environment. It is much easier to send six to eight divers per DM, have him or her lead the drift, shoot the SMB when team of divers reach the prebriefed gas reserve or when it is time for everybody to proceed up to the three minutes safety stop and keep the group together to facilitate control and extraction.

Having said that, I am not a keen fan of underwater feeding/frenzy sessions. While we were supposed to have a shark feeding dive on my Blackbeard cruises, it did not happen for various reasons. Nontheless, I did four or five dives in company of reef/blacktip sharks that were relaxed and just going about what sharks do normally instead of being stuck in the middle or on the edge of a mad and furious fishkabab rodeo. While I do not have much sympathy for lionfish, I think that there is a time and a place for each thing and their hunting for the sake of feeding other sea creatures during guided dive open the doors for too many unknowns...like expectancy for other creatures to be fed, somebody getting accidentally bit by whatever, somebody getting stung or scared/panic due to the erratic actions of a p....ed off/injured lionfish, divers panicking if being approached by a not so timid grouper/moray eel, etc.

When I dive, it is to observe nature in its normal settings. If I want to go on a fioshing/speargunning adventure, I will secure a charter dedicated to that very specific activity.

.... but the dive in question was at a resort where "resort certifications" and new PADI certifications abound. Part of the sales pitch is safe diving under the watchful eye of experienced DM's....

If there was a resort course diver present, if that "DM" was assigned to be his supervisor and buddy, then yes- he was overtasked and not paying close enough attention per any standard.

If this DM was the dive boat crewman who was in the water with your group, he has only the responsibility as directed by the resort and promised to you, a certified diver.

Do not read more into the DM title than you should. DM's in paradise may or may not hold certifications of any kind, but even if they are illiterate, they are likely better in control of their herd of cats than anyone working as a DM back home with 15 patches and c-cards.

If you ask if they are certified as a DM, Oxygen use, or Rescue Diver, you'll get an answer. The real question is... what is their assigned responsibility?

You bring up a new phenomenon in recreational warm water diving- divers are becoming more and more focused on Lionfish hunting. There was a time when noob divers wanted to bring their u/w cameras on their open water portion of their cert dives. Many new divers take on too much to handle, and very early on.

DMs hunting not only might hamper their observational skills in regards to their cat herding duties, but they diminish the enjoyment of the guest divers because they are not showing the paying divers all of the interesting cool stuff.

Contrary to many posters here who eschew the assistance of a DM in spotting critters, I absolutely follow them like a dog. Sometimes, I find as much or more than they do, but 2 more trained eyes are always better than just me alone.

As for divers carrying a pointed stick in my vicinity? A good DM, if he must, I wouldn't be afraid. A guest diver with a three-pronged skewer? I'll be waiting... way over there.

I am not diving if anyone in a group has a spear gun.
Killing Lion fish to protect the nature is ridiculous. It has an impact on the population similar like you kill 3 mosquito in your room and hope to make Asia mosquito free with your actions

Actually, it has made a noticeable impact on the numbers found. No we can't ever get rid of them permanently but if we control them, we can keep the other reef fish numbers up.

If the novice diver mentioned was a 'resort diver' then I think the DM has a duty-of-care to supervise her. In any other circumstance, why wouldn't her designated buddy be sufficient?

Killing Lion fish to protect the nature is ridiculous. It has an impact on the population similar like you kill 3 mosquito in your room and hope to make Asia mosquito free with your actions

Actually, it has made a noticeable impact on the numbers found. No we can't ever get rid of them permanently but if we control them, we can keep the other reef fish numbers up.

All but 1 small population of California sea otters were wiped out way back when. I think we could exterminate local populations of lion fish if we REAAALLY wanted to. :D

All but 1 small population of California sea otters were wiped out way back when. I think we could exterminate local populations of lion fish if we REAAALLY wanted to. :D

Reproduction rates between mammals and fish are quite different. A female lion fish can lay up to 15,000 eggs.

If a charter says they are providing a DM, I think the DM should perform those duties for the customers.

I don't see it being inconsistent to be the DM and hunt Lionfish, in certain areas it's becoming the norm. I have no problem with it.

If a charter says they are providing a DM, I think the DM should perform those duties for the customers.

THis is a good point. There should be a distinct difference between the duties of a dive guide and those of a dive master.

I think it is fair to expect a dive master to perform the duties and functions that they are trained/qualified to perform.

In contrast, a dive guide really indicates nothing more than an underwater tour host.

Back
Top Bottom