Suggestion April Fools went too far

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ohmdiver

ohmdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This past 4/1 the mods decided to allow certain controls to be turned of to help play a joke on the rest of us. (I am pointing directly at the
"Pssst...lets talk about them while they are not here" thread in Humor forum)
In a pm to me I was accusesed of personally attacking someone.

I fell for the joke and unintentionally caused someone else some pain.
For causing someone else pain I am truelly sorry.

In my pm to the person who clued me in, I asked if anyone else was asked to apologize for undue pain caused by this joke?

Does anyone else think this joke went to far? or had the potential to go too far?
Is anyone else feel any undue pain because of this "joke" thread?

It was AWESOME!!! I had someone apologize for sending me a nasty PM. It'll teach people not to read the whole thread.

Besides... it was April Fools Day... they were jokes... It wasn't all about ^you^... time to get over it.

I don't know what happened here yesterday, but calling something a joke doesn't make everything ok if people were hurt. Didn't you guys get tired of the April Fool concept after second grade?

Walter:
I don't know what happened here yesterday, but calling something a joke doesn't make everything ok if people were hurt. Didn't you guys get tired of the April Fool concept after second grade?
Wow. For someone whose advice is "tease her" you sure don't seem to have much playfulness in you. Some people overreacted to the joke. They reacted impulsively without investigating it a little further. All they had to do was read a couple of threads and then they would have understood the joke. If they chose to react impulsively and get all bent out of shape, I believe that is a personality flaw they should work on. Why ruin the fun for the rest of the board? I commend El Orans for his wittiness. God help us if people go boo hooing in the corner over a little prank.

Quick recap for those of ^you^ who missed it... a special code was inserted into SB to allow the reader to see their own name in a post. You'd have to be fairly vein to think that 75% of the threads going on yesterday were about you... especially when most of the threads explained how it happened. Again, not everything was all about ^you^!

Are you saying you are angry for having to apologize to someone because you fell for the joke? Or that your apology was not understood/accepted even after you explained the Foolery, and that makes you sad/angry?

I felt a little bad for people who just joined but even most of them got friendly pointers in nearly every thread. I thought it was pretty hilarious. I was amazed that people kept falling left and right time after time. It is hard to believe how it would matter to anyone that someone makes ridiculous claims of them eg pooping their wetsuits – to a point that they bother detailing counterclaims with pretty pompous tones.

I did not get any pm:s, so I am not sure if I missed some more sinister stuff but come on, every time you receive something alarming or arousing on the internet, think at least twice or for couple of hours, and look for some context before you react. People who fell for it were most likely the ones who saw red immediately.

Well ...after I was tagged as being in Guam on some sort of nude diving trip I knew something had run amuck.

Wasn't all that amused seeing my user name plastered all over various threads in, well ....lets just say not such favorable context.

I just logged off and stayed off the rest of the day to avoid things from escalating, just in case SB was in fact being hacked/hijacked.

Today I can laugh at it ...I guess

I'll know better next year !!

Footslogger:
Well ...after I was tagged as being in Guam on some sort of nude diving trip I knew something had run amuck.

Wasn't all that amused seeing my user name plastered all over various threads in, well ....lets just say not such favorable context.
And that IS the really funny part. While you were seeing your name, everyone else was seeing their name... and today, everyone just sees "^you^"

No harm, no blood, no foul... except to some egos :D
===

By the way...
Anyone who contacted me via PM was pointed to NetDoc's explanation and a greeting from me wishing them a happy 04/01/07.

I received laughing replies to every PM originally sent!

fishb0y:
. . . You'd have to be fairly vein to think that 75% of the threads going on yesterday were about you...

I just thought that I suddenly got very popular!:D
IMHO, it was all in good fun, and quite ingenious. Keep up the good work!

Yeah it was great! there were replies from people who have never replied but have been on a while .. good fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom