Aqua Lung ACD - Is it a gimmick or is it a deal maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I have an AL Titan LX Supreme, which I believe was rebranded as the "Core" about 2 years ago (I ended up buying two with big discounts after the name change.) Judging by the video Pubert posted, it takes a decent amount of force to open the ACD, and it doesn't look like it would be that easy to accidentally get water past it (unless you screw the old-style voke dust cap on too tight as shown in the video.) I have DIN regs, so at first I didn't think this would apply to me at all.

I just took a closer look at the first stages of my DIN regs: Yes, the spring on the ACD is pretty strong and is meant only engage when you tighten it the last few turns onto the cylinder. It would be impossible to open the ACD using the rubber dust cap included with the DIN regs.

But I bought threaded delrin caps for my regs. And I just confirmed that if I tighten the caps on all the way it pushes the ACD open! DANG! I can feel the extra resistance as I tighten it the last few turns. I've always assumed the resistance was the captive o-ring compressing against the inside of the cap, but now I'm sure it's the ACD being opened. Guess I need to stop tightening the delrin caps the last few turns. Fortunately the DIN o-ring has to be firmly sealed before the ACD opens, so soaking the regs with the caps on can't let water inside the first stage.

**the problem is the delrin caps have a void in the end that the end of the ACD can slide into after the main o-ring seats into the cap. It wouldn't be a problem if the inside of the cap was just a flat surface.

The spring is not very strong. It can't be.
So, you haven't looked closely at the Aqualung set up, but you're willing to trash it publicly?

Yes, the spring on the ACD is pretty strong and is meant only engage when you tighten it the last few turns onto the cylinder.
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

It's often been said that some people post because they really have something to add. Others only because they feel they have to post something. I try to make a habit of posting opinions about only gear that I have tried. I might ask a lot of questions, but I'm not going to make my mind up until I dive something. It keeps me honest.

The device is designed to prevent accidental intrusion of water. The spring is not very strong. It can't be. Oceanic was involved in a patent infringement kerfluffle a few years back with a similar design. They called theirs the DVT. It added 100 or so to the price of the 1st stage.
Maybe the AquaLung ACD is different than the Oceanic DVT? I don't see why the spring in the AL regs can't be very strong - it is depressed by the last 2-3 turns when the reg is screwed into the cylinder. Screw threads which can provide quite a bit of force. Having retracted the spring with my fingers I'd be surprised if it could be opened in only 3' of water (ca. 0.1 atm ~ 1.5 psi, and the surface area on the reg is only ~0.3 square inch.) I'm not going to find a dynamometer, but it sure felt like it took several pounds of force applied to that small area to move the spring.

ACD may be largely a marketing thing, but it doesn't seem to have a big downside. Does it complicates servicing the reg at all?

Maybe the AquaLung ACD is different than the Oceanic DVT? I don't see why the spring in the AL regs can't be very strong - it is depressed by the last 2-3 turns when the reg is screwed into the cylinder. Screw threads which can provide quite a bit of force. Having retracted the spring with my fingers I'd be surprised if it could be opened in only 3' of water (ca. 0.1 atm ~ 1.5 psi, and the surface area on the reg is only ~0.3 square inch.) I'm not going to find a dynamometer, but it sure felt like it took several pounds of force applied to that small area to move the spring.

ACD may be largely a marketing thing, but it doesn't seem to have a big downside. Does it complicates servicing the reg at all?
I guess it may be. Oh well, live and learn. The Oceanic was opened by air pressure. No actual physical contact required. Wonder why the patent issue even came up?

I guess it may be. Oh well, live and learn. The Oceanic was opened by air pressure. No actual physical contact required. Wonder why the patent issue even came up?
Ooh, ooh, I know the answer to that one: Lawyers.

Eric has the Legend with ACD. Its a nice set. Has had it for about 4 years and somewhere around 200 to 250 dives and still working perfect. But since the first stage hasn't been serviced yet can't report on the appearance of the chambers/internal parts.

I would look at it this way, if you like the regulator anyway, its a bonus feature. I'm not sure I would buy the regulator just for this feature, unless you know you can be rough on your sets or frequently have "concierge" service with your dives.

I'm a relatively new diver and have had no experience with other regs, so all I can say is these Titan regs have worked fine for me. In the event someone is looking for a reg like this, you can still find new Titan LX supremes on eBay (NOS - new old stock) for a significant discount. The Titan Core Supreme now retails for exactly the same as the Titan LX Supreme used to. As far as I can tell, the new "Core" models are identical to the Titan LX except for name and some cosmetic issues, but I've been wrong before!

new model: CORE Supreme - Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use
old model: Aqua Lung SG - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Professional and Recreational Use - Titan LX Supreme

Some sellers on eBay are asking the original retail price ($505 for DIN) for the LX Supreme, but I bought mine for $280 each after the Core was introduced (one from an LDS and another on eBay; I registered both serial #s with AquaLung with no problems.) The ACD may be nice, but I wanted the Supreme (cold water version) because it's environmentally sealed and I'm planning to dive in colder waters some day. I also was trying to save a few shekels for other equipment. (Little did I know what a slippery slope I was on!)

Of course, if your Conshelfs are working fine then a new reg could be a waste of $280.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom