Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still struggling just a bit with the idea of the 50lb. wing... the most single tank lift (being a warm and "relatively" warm water diver) that I need is 30#, and even that's pushing it on most dives...
I need to see pics of me in the wing before I can really comment, but so far the wing size has not been important. I guess if you're an out-of-control diver and can not moderate your use of the inflater, then it might become an issue. I have the larger wing on my Zeagle (44 lb) and it feels no different than this. Then, I have never bought into the minimalist wing argument. Unless the wing is going taco and flopping all over the place (which is a completely different issue) I don't see a big advantage of a 30 lb wing over a 50 lb wing. Just put in the air you need and leave the rest empty. A larger wing makes it easier on the surface as a partial fill will easily hold you up without face planting you. I've had a wing to the limit and floating on the surface just isn't any fun.

Otherwise, I can't find fault at all with the i3... it's ergonomics, it's trim, it's design, it's streamlining, and of course it's buoyancy control.
Like I said the only downfall is a place to clip my sausage and finger spool on the rear. Hanging them on the front just creates danglies and I hate that. a simple "D" or two on the back would have been great and made the system far more streamlined! I might have to have one sewn in. :D

Like I said the only downfall is a place to clip my sausage and finger spool on the rear. Hanging them on the front just creates danglies and I hate that. a simple "D" or two on the back would have been great and made the system far more streamlined! I might have to have one sewn in. :D

On my Zeagle, installed a self tapping d-ring on the harness.

I had USD Mailibu with a hard back pack. (I suspect this has one as well?) Using quick links (and maybe zip-ties) I attached a Dive Rite Quick Draw sleave behind my butt.

I've been diving the Dimension I3 since January and have about 35 dives on it. It is an extremely comfortable BC above water, unlike my BP/W. It's pretty streamlined and I like the hose routing for the LP inflator and SPG hoses making them less prone to snagging as on a wreck dive. The lever inflator controls are easy to adapt to and haven't caused me any problems when switching back and forth between the Dimension and my other BC's. I like that I can easily deflate in the horizontal position, although you do have to roll to the side slightly due to the positioning of the dump valves.

Negatives: I am not a fan of the Sure-lock weight system. I've lost a pouch while getting bounced around on the swim ladder and had one fall out on deck while heaving my rig onto my back. Both times the pouches were initially snapped in (something, I drill into students). On a few occasions, my inflator was activated on the boat by people shuffling gear and on two occassions, my skinny Miflex SPG hose got caught underneath the lever causing it to stick open. Fortunately this happened on the boat and not underwater! Given the potential danger this poses, I would not recommend this combination (Miflex/Dimension I3). I'm sure I could handle a stuck inflator quickly and easily underwater, but I could see someone else panic and rocket to the surface.

D-Rings, knife attachment, Octo-Pocket, are all good except for the round shoulder buckles. I find they take a lot of thumb/finger pressure to unsnap so I don't use them. There is only one mounting option for a knife sheath, which is on the flaps that retain the SPG hose.

I did have a situation where I had to use the oral inflator which I felt appeared a bit cheesy given the build quality of the rest of the BC. My LP inflator hose had disconnected during a dive and I when I got to the surface I was unable to inflate. I reached for the oral inflator but it was completely tucked under the velcro flaps and I had a hard time pulling the flap open without assistance. Thereafter, I always make sure that I have about 4" of the hose sticking out from the flaps. When I was able to get the oral inflator out, it worked just fine and I'd say is easier to use then traditional inflators.

Given my experience, I would not call this system, "idiot proof." I think the LDS's would be prudent to spend extra time with people buying this system, especially if it is their first BC.

Overall IMHO, the BC is a quality product. I would like to see an improved oral inflator, a lever arrangement that my hose can't get stuck in, and an alternate (additional) placement of the knife grommets.

This BC has replaced my Zeagle Ranger LTD for dives with students, however, when fun diving, I dive my BP/W.

...my skinny Miflex SPG hose got caught underneath the lever causing it to stick open. Fortunately this happened on the boat and not underwater! Given the potential danger this poses, I would not recommend this combination (Miflex/Dimension I3). I'm sure I could handle a stuck inflator quickly and easily underwater, but I could see someone else panic and rocket to the surface.
I use MiFlex as well, but only the lp hoses on my reg, octo, and inflator hose. The MiFlex hp hoses, that you are using on your spg, are skinnier, and from what I've heard can be prone to blowouts: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/xs-scuba/343500-miflex-hp-blowout-eeek.html; Miflex HP hose issues
So, essentially, I agree with you about no high-pressure MiFlex, for more than one reason... (the lp hoses, however, are thicker, and work fabulously).

I did have a situation where I had to use the oral inflator which I felt appeared a bit cheesy given the build quality of the rest of the BC. My LP inflator hose had disconnected during a dive and I when I got to the surface I was unable to inflate. I reached for the oral inflator but it was completely tucked under the velcro flaps and I had a hard time pulling the flap open without assistance. Thereafter, I always make sure that I have about 4" of the hose sticking out from the flaps. When I was able to get the oral inflator out, it worked just fine and I'd say is easier to use then traditional inflators.
I believe AL uses the thin silicon, so it can be folded accordion style under that flap. Anything else would have a memory-effect kink, and could create problems. They recommend, as you discovered, leaving a couple inches of the mouthpiece exposed, so you can easily access and pull it out (it should easily unravel if folded as recommended).

I need to see pics of me in the wing before I can really comment, but so far the wing size has not been important. I guess if you're an out-of-control diver and can not moderate your use of the inflater, then it might become an issue. I have the larger wing on my Zeagle (44 lb) and it feels no different than this. Then, I have never bought into the minimalist wing argument. Unless the wing is going taco and flopping all over the place (which is a completely different issue) I don't see a big advantage of a 30 lb wing over a 50 lb wing. Just put in the air you need and leave the rest empty. A larger wing makes it easier on the surface as a partial fill will easily hold you up without face planting you. I've had a wing to the limit and floating on the surface just isn't any fun.
Actually, I find it trims extremely well, and I think if I even touch the inflator lever more than three times during a dive I'd be surprised, so that's not the issue. While the i3 dumps air very efficiently, I think it still has to work harder to clear any remnants of trapped air, simply by virtue of the fact that there is more internal surface area, and nooks and crannies, as the bungies pull it in, for bubbles to hide, than on a smaller wing. Perhaps I'm simply used to the "feel" of a smaller wing. Regardless, I'm impressed, and the Dimension is a keeper for me...

Negatives: I am not a fan of the Sure-lock weight system. I've lost a pouch while getting bounced around on the swim ladder and had one fall out on deck while heaving my rig onto my back. Both times the pouches were initially snapped in (something, I drill into students). On a few occasions, my inflator was activated on the boat by people shuffling gear and on two occassions, my skinny Miflex SPG hose got caught underneath the lever causing it to stick open. Fortunately this happened on the boat and not underwater! Given the potential danger this poses, I would not recommend this combination (Miflex/Dimension I3). I'm sure I could handle a stuck inflator quickly and easily underwater, but I could see someone else panic and rocket to the surface.

I personally like Aqualung products, but don't own one of their BCs. I've had two friends who dive them--one lost one of the Sure-loc pouches on a giant stride off the boat, the other friend has lost them twice--once in the surf, and the time other just swimming around. Luckily they were all recovered, and no one went rapidly to the surface.

The chamber facility I supervise treated a recent case of AGE in a diver with a new Aqualung BC with side inflator. She either had a stuck inflator or she inadvertently actuated it--she can't remember which, but the gear checked out fine afterward. She had a rapid ascent from 55 fsw, and had symptoms almost immediately after surfacing. Without going into details, she had severe neuro involvement, but had successful treatment. Unfamiliarity with the new gear was a likely contributor, and inability to quickly dump and control her ascent. Nothing at all against Aqualung BCs. I have treated other AGE "blowups" in people using a conventional inflator.

I personally dive bp/w for doubles, and my zeagle ranger simply won't die, so no need to replace it for recreational diving.

never had a problem with my sure-loc pouches either...perhaps, they didn't double to make sure they were locked in? if i don't hear the pouch click into place, i re-insert so i hear it click.

Both of these guys are pretty experienced divers and pretty meticulous. I was there for all three incidents. The guy who lost one off the boat may have not been properly secured, because it fell out just as he hit the water. The other diver lost it after being in the water in normal swimming position for a while--once at the surface and once at depth. I've seen these demonstrated, and they look very easy to install and secure, but then again, I did see this happen three times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom