Aquaculture: Wild vs Farmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW:
Wild seafood is certainly cleaner than aquacultured seafood

Perhaps in some species and cases but this isn't true across the board.

Hank, what are some non-toxic farmed fish?

catherine96821:
Hank, what are some non-toxic farmed fish?

Define non toxic. And if in fact we're using this definition, what are some non-toxic, wild marine fish?
As far as man made pollutants, fish or shrimp grown in recirculated systems that don't introduce new water on a daily basis will be less contaminated simply due to less exposure and absorbtion. (assuming they aren't eating contaminated foods)

well toxic in the unhealthy sense. What are the heathiest choices? I thought the recirculated water was bad because of the waste....

catherine96821:
well toxic in the unhealthy sense. What are the heathiest choices? I thought the recirculated water was bad because of the waste....

Many aquaculture systems now employ "0 water exchange" technology, as we do on our farm here in Belize. This reduces the risk of pathogen introduction, eliminates the use of chemicals and antibiotics, as well as conserving water. Given that the biofiltration reduces waste to a level where growth and health of the target species are not affected in the least, and in many cases, record growth and survival rates occur, that there is no indication that it's "bad". The taste of the shrimp is also excellent.
As an example, what would you consider cleaner? Shrimp grown in a recirculated system that started with coral reef water, or shrimp caught on a trawler off of Mississippi in the Gulf of Mexico? Hank

Farmed fish in the U.S. are far more toxic than wild caught. It was all over the news a couple years ago when the carcinogen, pcb, and mercury levels of farmed salmon were many times that of wild caught salmon.

It was the feed that contained all of the toxic materials, and the fish were just soaking it all up.

So, Hank (I did not know you DID that!), should I bother deveining the shrimp or is it a waste of my time? I was concerned about heavy metals but do the pharmaceutical grade fish oil.

Yes, I follow Dr. Andrew Weil's recommendations but it is getting so complicated.

DavidPT40:
Farmed fish in the U.S. are far more toxic than wild caught. It was all over the news a couple years ago when the carcinogen, pcb, and mercury levels of farmed salmon were many times that of wild caught salmon.

It was the feed that contained all of the toxic materials, and the fish were just soaking it all up.

I read this also. It was bad for the salmon business and should not have happened...and is avoidable.

Catherine, I don't devein shrimp. Unless I eat it raw or in ceviche. By the way, who is Dr. Weil?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom