Aquaculture: Wild vs Farmed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Farmed Atlantic salmon pens in BC are really screwing up the natural stocks. They are in openwater pens and they are finding that the salmon are covered in sealice which attach onto the wild salmon creating huge problems (in addition to the giant concentrated piles of salmon poop, escaping non-native fish etc.)

I avoid farmed salmon like the plague.

bwerb:
Farmed Atlantic salmon pens in BC are really screwing up the natural stocks. They are in openwater pens and they are finding that the salmon are covered in sealice which attach onto the wild salmon creating huge problems
Another case in point as to why recirculated, biosecure systems are the future. In this case, it would protect wild species and in others, such as closed system shrimp farms, it keeps those types of pathogens or parasites in the wild, out of the farm.

Very nice site. Thanks! saved it... Surprising to me they gave thumbs up to Black Sea Bass. I always regarded its problems similiar to Chilean Sea Bass, which I don't order anymore.

Does anyone know about Opah? I think it is Moonfish in Japan. It is my new favorite taste-wise, the perfect fish IMO. My old favorite is Yellow-Tail caught off Baja.

The site above also gives thumbs up to farmed Catfish. I never eat that because I thoughtof it as a scavenger fish from dirty water. But, I will give it a new look because Costco always has lots of it. Anybody know a great way to cook it?

catherine96821:
The site above also gives thumbs up to farmed Catfish. I never eat that because I thoughtof it as a scavenger fish from dirty water. But, I will give it a new look because Costco always has lots of it. Anybody know a great way to cook it?

grilled immediately upon banging on the head ! the meat would taste sweet !

Back
Top Bottom