Aqualung Air3 on a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, no flame zone please.

I know someones done this, but I can't find it in the searches.

I just want to know about the wing to inflator connection, not start a debate on why?/its not tech/you gonna die/OMG the sky is falling if you do this etc.

So, specifically, what are the connector diameters, thread sizes etc on which wings that would be compatible with Aqualung inflators and in particular the Air3, if anyone knows. I'm looking at a Hog wing to go with a Freedom Contour plate, but I'm not hung up on that.

Thanks for any help.

Have no idea what the Aqualung connection diameter/thread is so can't say what wings it will fit. I know the BC connection I have on an old Aqualung corrugated hose I have in a box somewhere is not only a different size but the shape/depth of the connection is different. Requires a different washer as well than either my DSS or HOG wings used/use. Can you give dimensions on the AL connection?

Ok thanks Jim. By the tape measure (see pics), it looks like 2 3/16" dia and for sure 12tpi threads (using a thread gauge). Depth is 3/8" best I can tell.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpg
    IMG_6121.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6123.jpg
    IMG_6123.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 57
Ah come on people, can someone help me with the numbers please?

That said I got this nice note from DiveExpress (I had to laugh, especially when you compare them to DSS which has a video to show you how to totally service their inflators):

"Mani,
The manufacturer does not supply that information, nor would
we be willing to sell a wing without an inflator, nor would we recommend
attempting to modify the inflation mechanism. Service by other than an authorized
dealer would void the warranty and improper service of dive equipment can lead to serious injury or death.

I'm sorry that we were unable to help you.

-- Mark"

Still, I thanked them for the legal briefing, and asked for the info again. But probably not going to get anything.

Do you need to use the AquaLung hose?
Would the AirSource 3 fit in a standard 1" corrugated hose.
If you want the Alternate air source to be removeable check the Atomic SS1 or the Zeagle Octo Z, both disconnect from the corregated hose with a standard garden hose connector.

Do you need to use the AquaLung hose?
Would the AirSource 3 fit in a standard 1" corrugated hose.
If you want the Alternate air source to be removeable check the Atomic SS1 or the Zeagle Octo Z, both disconnect from the corregated hose with a standard garden hose connector.

The optimal would be to use the whole thing as is.
Next would be to deconstruct it, which I don't really want to do as its a pull-dump system and I want to keep that.
Third would be to use something like the Zeagle (thanks for that) to replace what they send me for an inflator.

But the question revolves around the first as that's what I have in hand and its the best solution.

I have a Hog 38 lb...I'll see if Seaquest inflators fit it at work on Jan 2.

I'm pretty sure they're the same thread.

I am going to do some guessing hear and say you bought a wing, new or used, with a straight elbow on the corragated hose and want to replace it with the hose with the pull dump.

I just checked my 32lb HOG, 36lb AGIR, and my 30lb OxyCheq and they all use the exact same thread connections. (In fact I swapped out the HOG and AGIR inflator hoses.) They measured 1.75" across.

Then I checked my SeaQuest AirSource which I measured to be 2 1/8" in diameter and it was bigger than the other 3 connections. Take it for what it's worth.

I am going to do some guessing hear and say you bought a wing, new or used, with a straight elbow on the corragated hose and want to replace it with the hose with the pull dump.

Close but no cigar. I bought a backplate and am in search of a wing. I have Aqualung inflators out my wazoo from other swapouts, but I really like the ergo design of my Air3 and it is consistent with my dive buddys (wife) rig, but not consistent with the teaching rigs we use....

So I'm building a new personal dive rig, and relegating my current BCD to teaching duties - and making inflator setups more consistent with the situations I'm most in.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

I just checked my 32lb HOG, 36lb AGIR, and my 30lb OxyCheq and they all use the exact same thread connections. (In fact I swapped out the HOG and AGIR inflator hoses.) They measured 1.75" across.

Then I checked my SeaQuest AirSource which I measured to be 2 1/8" in diameter and it was bigger than the other 3 connections. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks Bopper for taking the time. I like the Hog wings. Hohum, what to do, what to do....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom