Aqualung Fusion gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
So I guess Aqualung has canceled the Fusion line of Drysuits. My question is, how is this going to affect my future with mine? What will service options be like, such as the zipper? Mine is only 3 years old but I’m concerned and am far from being able to buy another suit. Not to mention the fact that I love how the fusion dives, especially since weighting is so minimal due to the compression of the cover.

I'm all depressed now mate, might have to hit the valium stash to keep me going until I pick up my new drysuit
from my independent drysuit manufacturer and repairer

• Funny
Reactions: Zef
I have 2 Aircore versions and also really like them. And 1 needs suspenders - AL has ignored requests for a few years ...

Possibly good news is that Whites (the developer of rhe Fusion line) that was bought by AL is being spun back out: Frank White Re-Acquires Whites - New Company Named Whites Drywear - DiveNewswire
That would be great. I have used several brands of drysuits but the design of the Fusion is perfect for me. In the time I have had mine I have lost enough weight that a conventional design drysuit would have needed to be replaced. The compression outer cover makes it so I can use the same suit even if I drop 100 lbs.

Reactions: Zef
I'm all depressed now mate, might have to hit the valium stash to keep me going until I pick up my new drysuit
from my independent drysuit manufacturer and repairer
Not sure if you are being sarcastic and don’t like them or if you are slightly serious. Either way, all good. To be honest I wanted a fusion when it was still whites, but couldn’t afford one until after AL had already purchased them. For me it’s about how the system works giving me flexibility. Like I said in another response if I had a different suit (I’ve used DUi, USIA, and a couple others) and lost the weight that I have, I would need a new one. With the fusion design I can safely lose 50-60 more and still be safe.

Down side is my thermal layers have to be pretty spot on for the conditions, as compared to the others.

What independent company do you use?

White's looks to be taking back their product, just give it a little while and they'll be available again I'm sure.
Mine isn't brilliant but I seem to be between sizes and it's the older drycore.

I talked to the guys at Whites. They are back in business and no longer part of Aqualung. Will be good to stop by and see them in Victoria this spring! The suits that they had on display at DEMA were all new versions of the Fusion.

I reached out through their website a couple of weeks ago about when product will be available. No reponse from them yet. 😕.

Looks like Apeks also does not sell the Fusion KVR1 anymore. Some used AL and White’s come up for sale in my area now and then. Without confirmed manufacturer support at this time are Fusion’s something to avoid? Given the bilayer design are repairs to seals or punctures to the core more complicated compared to neoprene or laminate suits that any good LDS or even confident person could do? If skins can’t be sourced are they repairable? I don’t have a drysuit yet, took the course and used an AL Fusion. Seemed Ok, but it’s all I know. Maybe just avoid Fusion’s an look at a more “traditional” design?

the skins aren't watertight so even if they have a few holes, you can just patch them like old clothes and still use them. you can glue some ballistic nylon or cordura if it is due to wear.

the drycore is pretty straightforward to patch if needed by a drysuit repair shop, not sure on the newer aircore

and seals are the same as any trilam suit, where you could get glued seals but having a sitech system is really recommended

fusions really only have that they are a bit more forgiving on sizing going for them. this makes them an ok option for rental fleets or a cheap used suit. otherwise, a made to measure trilam seaskin is better.

i've been diving an ex rental LDS fusion for 8 years now. 3rd set of seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom