Aqualung i3 Dimension to be used for tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an i3 I haven't used for a few years. The biggest practical problem is going to be how are you going to attach doubles. Where do the bolts go? The next problem is that even if you make it work somehow I suspect the instructors you'd want to teach you how to do dangerous things safely won't let you use something jury rigged.

If the cost of buying an appropriate bcd is an issue now, just wait, it only gets worse from here. Consider whether your plans are compatible with your finances. You don't have to have the latest and greatest with the gold plating, but you'll need a lot of not inexpensive gear, and the helium bill can be a lot of money.

Thanks guys for the inputs. I really appreciate your suggestions. The rebreather I plan to buy in 5-7 years is the Hollis Prism 2 which has the wing already. For now I just want to practice like the technical diving position, horizontal ascending, kicking style,etc. before going toward that route. I have no intention of mounting multiple tanks as I know I want to have the rebreather in the near future. So the question really is: can you dive with the i3 in a technical style? I do not plan to take any technical classes yet without having the proper gear. The proper gear will be purchased 5 years down the road (starting a fund now)

Yes. I saw one of the guides (a highly experienced instructor) in Hawaii in a very used scubapro jacket who looked pretty damn sharp. You can do that in anything. But is all your tweaking the lever on the i3 developing habits you'll have to unlearn?
Thanks guys for the inputs. I really appreciate your suggestions. The rebreather I plan to buy in 5-7 years is the Hollis Prism 2 which has the wing already. For now I just want to practice like the technical diving position, horizontal ascending, kicking style,etc. before going toward that route. I have no intention of mounting multiple tanks as I know I want to have the rebreather in the near future. So the question really is: can you dive with the i3 in a technical style? I do not plan to take any technical classes yet without having the proper gear. The proper gear will be purchased 5 years down the road (starting a fund now)

I'm scratching my head a bit here. Your goal is 5-7 years down the road. That's a good bit in the future. Buy a BP/W piecemeal used now. Then sell the i3. Once you have the rebreather (that comes with a wing), then sell the wing you no longer need. That's the beauty of BP/W. Buy a piece here, a piece there.

I totally agree with the others on muscle memory issues. Tech divers often use the butt dump on their wings. The Dimension i3 doesn't have one.

You're making quite an assumption in thinking the Prism 2 will even be in production in 5-7 years. I'm willing to bet that it won't be, for any number of reasons. Not wanting to buy a BP/W now because you might get one with the rebreather you might buy in five years doesn't make much sense to me. Buy the equipment you need to dive the way you want to now and worry about the rebreather you're going to buy when you're ready to buy it. It sounds like a BP/W would be more suitable for what you want to do than the BC you have now, and if so, that's what you should be looking at.

Last edited:
I plan to buy the rebreather in 10 years, thats why I do not want to spend any more money on scuba stuff.

You need to wait 10 years to save up for sub $10K purchase?

Seriously though, there's nothing cheap about tec diving. I'd get the "budget" mentality out of your head before venturing into that realm. JMHO.

You need to wait 10 years to save up for sub $10K purchase?

Seriously though, there's nothing cheap about tec diving. I'd get the "budget" mentality out of your head before venturing into that realm. JMHO.

I'm not fortunate enough to live close to the coast where I can dive every weekend. If I were to live in Florida or California, I would have bought it in a heart beat. The 10 years time frame is the time I am allowing myself to wait to see if it's worth it to invest in one as I am living in Houston - nowhere to dive here....sad life

I'm not fortunate enough to live close to the coast where I can dive every weekend. If I were to live in Florida or California, I would have bought it in a heart beat. The 10 years time frame is the time I am allowing myself to wait to see if it's worth it to invest in one as I am living in Houston - nowhere to dive here....sad life

You have the Gulf of Mexico in your backyard. What makes it unacceptable to dive?

I don't live on the coast, yet I dive nearly every weekend. Either one of the local quarries or Lake Michigan. Quarry today, Lake Huron next Sunday.

Take one step at a time. Forget the CCR. In 6 yrs time Hollis might not even exist, who know?
Go diving and see if you can improve your skill, trim etc etc on your jacket bc. BP/W is NO difference from jacket, you still have to fin, deflate/inflate etc etc.
Don't waste any money on gadgets!

How many times have you gone out on the Fling? Have you dove the inshore rigs? The lake/quarry in Huntsville? Even 505 lake is something, even though it had about 1 ft vis when I was there.

Take one step at a time. Forget the CCR. In 6 yrs time Hollis might not even exist, who know?
Go diving and see if you can improve your skill, trim etc etc on your jacket bc. BP/W is NO difference from jacket, you still have to fin, deflate/inflate etc etc.
Don't waste any money on gadgets!

How many times have you gone out on the Fling? Have you dove the inshore rigs? The lake/quarry in Huntsville? Even 505 lake is something, even though it had about 1 ft vis when I was there.

I have never gone out on the Fling and did not know about the inshore rigs. I will check them out. I've been to the lake in Huntsville (blue lagoon). Very good visibility but theres no marine life. Just went to Twin lake this weekend and never want to be back.... Terrible visibility. Thank you for your input. I will take your advice and think thoroughly before joining the technical life

Back
Top Bottom