Aqualung Legend "2nd stage only"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this sometime last year and got no responses. I'm looking to purchase an Aqualung Legend "2nd stage only". Either version will be fine "LX or not".

Why not just order the Aqualung Legend Octo from Dive Inn? It's overseas with no warranty...but it's new. It's a great second stage. If you wanted to, you could even buy a black face cover and switch it out, making it look like the non-octo version.

If you wanted to, you could even buy a black face cover and switch it out, making it look like the non-octo version.

Do you know of somewhere which sells Legend parts to consumers?

Do you know of somewhere which sells Legend parts to consumers?
The short answer is no.

Overhauling the second stages without using the official service kits is not a big deal at all, though. With a little bit of research, you can figure out what size standard o-rings the second stage takes. Then you can source the o-rings from aoptec.com. I'd recommend getting the EPDM Shore 70 o-rings since they are oxygen compatible and have an indefinite shelf-life (unlike BunaN). The only non-o-ring parts in the second stage service kit are a plastic plug (part #129161) and the low pressure seat (small piece of rubber). I think that you can re-use the plastic plug if you're careful during disassembly. If you can order the low pressure seat through your local Aqualung dealer, then you can service your own second stage for very little money. FWIW, the low pressure seat for Aqualung regs is the exact same one used in Apeks regs. In fact, it has an Apeks part number "AP2034."

I'd recommend just buying the full-blown first stage kits from a dealer (if you can get them). Overhauling the first stage is a little more involved than overhauling the second stage. The best you can do with obtaining those kits is to check Ebay as often as you can. You'll pay about $30 per Legend first stage kit. The going rate for Legend second stage kits is about $20, but as I said above, if you can source the LP seat somewhere, then you can put together your own "kit" much more economically.

Good luck...

I've purchased a couple 2nd stage Legend kits from Ebay "for in the field repairs". But was actually wondering about parts as in the black face cover and black venturi knob to replace the yellow versions if I would purchase an octo Legend.

I'm not trying to be fashionable but actually concerned about an OOA diver coming to grab the wrong 2nd stage. I want to use my current LX Legend 2nd stage on a long hose "as my primary" and the Legend Octo bungeed around my neck.

Some will say to just use the octo as my primary but I like to use the knob on the LX to regulate the amount of air I receive depending on conditions "ie: depth, current, etc"

Your local Aqualung/Apeks/Suunto dealer can special order the black face cover for you. The Venturi lever is another matter entirely. I've gone to two different local Aqualung dealers who refuse to order that particular part for me. Apparently, they think it's a liability issue because installing the part would necessitate disassembly of the second stage. Absolutely ridiculous! This is the kind of nonsense that makes me want to sell off my Aqualung stuff and go with a more customer-friendly reg manufacturer.

I can tell you from experience that the black cover is ridiculously over-priced for what it is. If you find a dealer that will order the black Venturi lever for you, please PM me with the dealer's name. If you decide not to replace the yellow Venturi lever, I really don't think that the small bit of yellow would confuse any OOA divers.

FWIW, the Legend octo breathes great. You'll really like it...

I've gone to two different local Aqualung dealers who refuse to order that particular part for me. Apparently, they think it's a liability issue because installing the part would necessitate disassembly of the second stage. Absolutely ridiculous!
:confused:

That is ridiculous! I took the equipment repair/maintenance specialty last year and one of the activities was to stripped down our 2nd stages to its most basic components "minus the valve assembly". After being guided through it the first time, I'm pretty confident anyone with the slightest mechanical inclining could safely strip down, clean or repair a 2nd stage.

I have a pretty decent relationship with my LDS's tech duo, so I think asking them to order the parts would be simple enough.

Just out of curiosity, how much did u pay for your black cover? "if u don't mind me asking"

Just out of curiosity, how much did u pay for your black cover? "if u don't mind me asking"
I don't mind you asking at all. It was a few years back, so I'm not certain...but I recall it being in the $20-$25 range for the black-colored purge cover. Just call your local Aqualung dealer and get a quote for the Legend Purge Cover part #129172. I was pretty po'd that the LDS charged me for shipping...from the Aqualung facility located in Vista, CA, which is only about 30 miles away from where I live. I could have arranged for a buddy who lives nearby to pick it up for me. In all, I think I spent $35 for that sucker...not worth it IMO.

FYI, you'll have to transfer the Legend Nameplate from the yellow purge cover to the black one. It's not too difficult, though.

Before you do anything, I guess you should compare the cost of the Legend octo (from Dive Inn - incl. shipping) + black colored faceplate vs. the cost of ordering a regular black faceplated reg from your LDS. As you know, the advantage of getting it from an authorized dealer is that they'll give you parts for life for free provided you play by their maintenance rules.

Let me know how it works out...

Thanks for all your help Bubbletrubble. I'm going to go down to my LDS sometime this coming week and work out the numbers. I'll let you know what I decide. :wink:

If all you want is the second stage only, ask your dealer to sell you part# 129080.

It is what you are looking for. :wink:

Yes, he can order only the second stage. Infact you may be able to purchase it directly on the aqualung web site, you may have to pick it up there but it wil prevent him from saying he can't order it alone.

Part# 1209080 is the legend lx, not the octo, so you will not have to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom